[pskmail] Re: Fwd: Re: Re: Clients

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 12:28:43 +0200

Hi Klaus,

I was connected to your server (and others) for a while yesterday and I tried forever to get 1.5.8 to upload my data. The client would send other stuff but I waited and waited for it so send ~RECxxx. I have tried it with my bench test server and it does take time there also but it did transmit it. But, I think there is some issue there. The upload method has three possible ways to upload, its divided that way to match client and server versions. I suspect something is not right there so I will debug that asap (preferably so that I can upload my data before the field day tomorrow).

Regarding the slowing clock I have not seen that, does sound strange.

73, Per
SM0RWO

Klaus Lohmann skrev 2012-05-23 20:48:
Sorry wrong sender :-(

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff:     Re: [pskmail] Re: Clients
Datum:     Wed, 23 May 2012 20:47:27 +0200
Von:     Klaus Lohmann <kl@xxxxxxxxxx>
An:     pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Pär,

I had the "wrong password" thing today. It occured without any
recognizable reason. Client 1.5.8 and server 1.7.1. After this the
server did not respond to the ~REC...-message. Maybe my server is not
the latest 1.7.1. Will try that tomorrow.

Other observation with 1.5.8 (Windows 7): after a fresh start the
timestamp in the APRS-Window is ticked every second, gets slower and
slower and finally ends up in the "no GPS data since 5 minutes" -
message *). Buffer problem?

Will try to  look at that tomorrow, if customers let me ;-).

Is it still true, that the new client (Windows again) does not work with
an external (USB) soundcard?

73, Klaus

*) or other words with that meaning

Am 23.05.2012 19:53, schrieb Pär Crusefalk:
 Hi Glenn,

 First of all I just want to state that I know that the system works, I
see the traffic flowing through my server and I find it very useful when I'm away sailing or out and about somewhere. When the connection is poor
 the arq connection can behave the way you say here. I know I had that a
 while when I had noise reducing DSP engaged in my transceiver, also
 other hams have had identification turned on and that made the link
 behave poorly. So, there can be simple reasons for what you are seeing.
 Also, are these issues related to running the server within windows?

 Having said that I know that we have had a high development speed and I
 think we need to better state what a stable system should be using.
 The version 2 client is coming along nicely but I still don't see it as
 a stable client as it is lacking things and there are bugs in there.
 But, it has so far been labeled alpha.

 To me the stable client to use is 1.5.8. It has been tested quite a lot
now and I know it works. I have not had issues with the "Wrong password"
 but I will try to recreate that issue in bench testing this weekend.
 I will do a practical demo of pskmail during field day this saturday so
 I may not have time for testing before next week.

 I have not seen any discussions where someone has failed to make it
 work. Would be great to connect with these hams and hear about their
 issues, can you point me to where you saw that?

 I think pskmail is a real easy sell, who wants to spend thousands of
 dollars for an ugly modem when it's not needed...

 73 de Per, sm0rwo

 tis 2012-05-22 klockan 08:55 -0400 skrev Glenn Roeser:
 I hope that this email does not upset anyone, and I don't mean to be
 rude in any way. After observing time after time after time. Clients
 will connect to a server with the intent to upload or download an
 email, or use one of the other functions that the server provides,
 only not to be able to get done what they were trying to do. The
 client and the server will talk back and forth until the server will
 go into it's sending polls mode. While it is in poll sending mode the
 server will change to various modes trying to get the client to
 accomplish the transfer of 100% data until it runs out of the
 prescribed amount of retries. This happens with the client still
 connected, because the client is still answering the server, with no
 results, so I know an early "abort" had not been sent.
 I know that my server does everything that it is supposed to do
 because I have tested all it's functions myself. The only flaw is that
 once in a while I will get a "Wrong Password" error message while
 trying to download mail headers.
 I had sent an email to one of my friends the step by step method that
 I use with the server and he still was unable to get results. I
 watched him going at Bob's (KB2PNM) server yesterday, over and over
 and over, without any luck.
 I have read in various forums that hams have tried pskmail and have
 given up because."I just couldn't get it to work." I'm not sure if the
 intention of the authors are to provide a program for a close knit
 group of campers, and boaters, or if the authors intent is for general
 ham population to use an enjoy this fantastic program
 and therefore the number of pskmail users would increase. As it stands
 now pskmail is a very hard sell.
 It seems to me that as things stand now, the client is just too
 complicated for the average ham to use or there are bugs in the
 software that I am not aware of. I have not been able to get any of my
 friends, and these are hams that are running digital modes without any
 difficulty, to become successful using pskmail.
 Wishing all very 73, Glenn WB2LMV

--
Mobile: +46703784299