[pskmail] Fwd: QRM, pskmail jamming itself

  • From: Darren Long <darren.long@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:47:45 +0100

Oops. Sent only to Per before...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Darren Long <long.spike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5 September 2006 20:35:25 BDT
To: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: QRM, pskmail jamming itself

Hi Per & others,

I'm glad you noticed that. It looked a bit strange from this end. Seemed to me that G0HWW (me) didn't correctly receive the 'k' message and it all went downhill from there. I have a log transcript, and was going to post it, but thought it may play havoc if someone downloads this email using pskMail. Any protection against replay attacks? I guess that the expansion of control codes into <SOH> etc, should make it OK.

I noticed a few collisions between me and Per's server's transmissions. This isn't the first time I've noticed a number of consecutive collisions when in a connection that's been perturbed. Eventually the two ends settled into a ping-pong session, but I couldn't get pskMail to actually send a QUIT, so I aborted and left the server to poll until it gave up.

Another strange thing, which may have been down to finger trouble is this. One morning recently, I noticed my pskMail/gMFSK trying to talk to Per's server when it was connected with PA0R. My Signalink rig interface was off, so no danger of transmission, but it was hammering away (if you can call it that) responding to each transmission from SM0RWO. This had me quite perplexed but I wondered if I had left pskMail still trying to connect when I switched off the Signalink and went to bed. I'm not sure exactly happened, but for a while I thought it may have responded to a 'k' message sent to PA0R.

Strange, huh?  I may have to get more familiar with Perl...

Darren, G0HWW