[pskmail] First field experience with Pskmail for Android

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:30:17 +1000

Here is the feedback of my first use in the field:

1. Hardware configuration(s):

HTC Desire running Android 2.1.

In the car: HF radio (CODAN) 100W output with multitap antenna.

Portable: Yaesu FT-817, 41M long Fuchs wire antenna and tuner plus G5RV for
comparison, audio interface without galvanic isolation, 5000mAh Lithium
battery pack.

Distance from server: 500KM strait line (and less while mobile).

 2. Results:

2.1 Audio coupling works very well. It requires a bit of handling for keying
the PTT but is manageable for small connected exchanges. Very easy for APRS
beacons.

2.2 PSK modes used down to PSK63 at times due to static crashes but allowed
all (about 15 sessions) but one to take place. I had to fire-up the netbook
and use THOR22 for one session due to severe thunderstorm activities one
night. This indicates that at least one robust mode is pretty critical (THOR
at best or at least PSKR). Already in the list of TO-DOs.

2.3 I missed a tune function for adjusting the audio out of the phone. That
is already in the list.

2.4 The orientation change of the phone between portrait and landscape seems
to create issues with the display of the status in the title bar. To be
investigated.

2.5 The lack of galvanic isolation creates problems with the  touch screen
when RF is present. This restricted the phone manipulation to between TX
which was a bit of a bother. Solution: use my isolated interface OR get a
Bluetooth adapter to work.

2.6 The Fuchs antenna and tuner really does have an advantage over the G5RV
(with balun and autotuner in the car). In my tests it was above 1S point
above on 40 and 80M NVIS, and about an S point above on 20M DX.

2.7 On the way back home I used audio coupling while mobile for sending APRS
beacons with great success.Using PSK250 on 40M, I was getting close to 100%
success except in the 40M skip zone (between 180 and 30KM from the server in
that case) where I had between 50% and 33% success rate using PSK63 on 80M.
I was using compressed beacons and status messages of about 15 characters.
So quite a usable feature.

2.8 It would have been nice to be able to recharge the phone from the
Lithium battery. I will add in my carry pack a simple cigarette lighter to
USB adapter (switchmode) for that purpose. Not to be used while in QSO due
to the RF noise but ok otherwise.

2.9 Since when portable I had no noise but low power, and the server is high
power but high ambient noise environment, the ideal modes would have been
non-symetrical with, for example Client TX = PSK63 but server TX = PSK500.
Can we do that with the current custom list of modes system or does both the
server's RX and TX have to be in the list? To be investigated.

2.10 The GPS receiver drains the phone battery rather quickly (3 to 4 hours
approx in my case) and it takes a couple of minutes to get a fix when first
started. The operating philosophy of the GPS needs review to optimize
accuracy of position reporting and batteries life. Probably best to store
the latest GPS fix in the preferences together with time and date so that a
decision can be made to fetch latest position or use stored values. Also
auto-beacon will need auto ON/OFF of GPS receiver for the same reasons.

2.11 Remember to carry heavy enough sinkers for launching the fishing line
over the tall trees: the small sinkers do not work in the wind !!!

2.12 The new INQUIRE function is of real value.

2.13 Various other things like easy access to the "modem monitor" screen and
displaying of received email bodies will be a plus. All this is already in
the to-do list.

So all in all already very usable as a portable configuration.

73, John (VK2ETA)