[pskmail] Re: File uploads via PSKMail.

  • From: Rick W <mrfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:37:50 -0500

In the past week or so, I am now able to run either the Linux or Windows Vista versions of fldigi and pskmail. I can also run the pskmail server, but that is Linux only.

When I run the Linux version of fldigi I can use the hamlib control to my ICOM (CI-V). When I run the Linux version of pskmail, I boot up fldigi from the icon and then have to open a terminal window to run pskmail or pskmail_server. Then I no longer have CI-V control of PTT through fldigi as was recently commented on by Rein as being impractical to implement.

But when I run fldigi with javaPSKmail on my Windows Vista OS, I am able to have CI-V rig control, including PTT via the CI-V commands. This means that with MS OS, e.g, XP/Vista/7, I do not need to have two COM ports (or USB to COM adapters) with the additional hardware such as I use with the SignaLink USB interface for "VOX" keying of PTT, audio in and audio out, plus another COM port for CI-V rig control.

Is this a limitation of perl and why pskmail can run on Windows and key via the CI-V?

Another question:

If I have pskmail_server set up without internet connection can a station connect and leave a message for another station and then the second station connect later to pick up the mail on that server? If so, how do you implement that with an appropriate address, etc.?

From my biased perspective (public service more than ham e-mail) what we are looking for is a way to act as a BBS of sorts .... plus being able to send e-mail too (assuming that an internet connection is available). But when the internet is not available, you will still be able to time shift the messages so that both operators do not have to connect to each other and can pick up messages when convenient. We used to have this capability in Winlink (before it became Winlink 2000) since it was an RF only system, but required Pactor. And the server was not available for HF unless you got special permission from the centralized authority.

Since then, there does not seem to be a practical HF sound card method to do basic BBS type connections other than using packet radio and perhaps something like Multipsk which is the only free sound card packet program that I am aware of.

73,

Rick, KV9U

Per Crusefalk wrote:
Regarding the jre versions that was a problem at the start as netbeans
used a layoutmanager that required the latest jre. Macs in particular
had trouble there as they have real problems updating (its tied to the
version of the os, have to upgrade the entire os).

Once we have a nice and stable version then there should not be issues
like these. Its not a complete product yet, the perl stuff has been
tested a lot and is much more stable as you say.

I see the a whole range of problems with perl but I wont detail them
here, its just not good enough going forward.

But, I realize that there are problems with java too, its just that the
end result can be so much better if we go that way so I hope you hang in
there. For instane the integrated map tab just would not have been
possible within perl (its an integrated open streetmap on a separate
tab, you can see your position and all other received positions there).

But, we need better interaction so that there is a way to handle
problems. Perhaps its time for a bugzilla or a way to file problems?

73 de Per, sm0rwo

P.s. Take it easy, its just a hobby ;-)