[pskmail] Field day reflection

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 11:12:29 +0200

Hi all,

I had a somewhat short day out yesterday, it was cut short as I had to
take a whole gang of ten year old kids to Antons birthday party. But,
despite that I had a few hours where I could talk to people about
pskmail. I got a table there and put up my FT897 with fishing rod
vertical and laptop and started to do live demos. There was a demo of an
electric car nearby and we all figured that was the source of the
terrible RFI that made hf almost unusable. But, I had a hunch about the
new laptop and it's AC adapter. So I bent down and unplugged it, heard a
sigh of relief around the tables... So, beware of the nice new, small,
Dell AC adapters. The older were better...

Other than that I discussed pskmail with visitors and I think the quick
pskaprs emails that landed in my smart phone email inbox  impressed
quite a few. APRS was also very appreciated. I tried not to do ARQ
during the presentation as we were many doing hf in close vicinity and
long ARQ sessions jammed the others, unconnected frames were impressive
enough.

A few things for the to do list:
Ping is seriously messed up now, one ping gave abt 5 servers answering
at the very same time and I read none of them. We need to separate
replies better in time.
Frequencies, I was in luck during the presentation that I was almost
alone on 10148 but at other times that frequency has been occupied and
then the wait can last hours. Summoning is a nice idea but difficult to
use if your signal is the weakest. I will start to scan 10147 also to
have another possible slot.

For the next demo I need some way of making the laptop screen brighter,
outside presentation with strong sun makes the screen almost invisible
(despite some tent protection). I made brochures and those can be reused
if someone else wants to do something similar. A brochure is very good
in that the interested can read in his/her own pace and I got very
informed questions then.