[pskmail] Re: Email Info Server

  • From: Jeff Davis <ke9v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:19:14 +0000

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:14:01AM +0200, Rein Couperus wrote:

> PS: One of the features I am thinking about is DTN broadcast capability via
> pskmail.
> The server will broadcast critical information a few times per day, and the
> client will just
> cache it so that e.g. the wx forecast for a certain area does not have to be
> downloaded
> by every user... This would work even if the client has only a receiver. This
> can be done
> e.g. on the traffic frequency so APRS capability is not disturbed. Servers
> can take turns
> so the client has several possibilities to complete the documents...

Another good idea. It reminds me of the store and forward satellite protocol
of days gone by (see PB/PG for reference).

In that case an empty shell of the entire directory contents was transmitted
and every user's software received that info. Then individual users could
"request" a particular file and it would be broadcast. All stations capable
of receiving would also get that file until, after a few days of passes the
directory structure on everyone's computer would begin to fill.

It seemed a highly efficient means for having a single transmitter send all
of the data to everyone over multiple passes... It sort of auto-cloned the
directory from the satellite computer onto everyone's hard drive.

In the case of pskMail I suppose a user could somehow "opt" to get the
server broadcast and that might include a listing of all current data
available from the server -- then the user could request individual files
fills in addition to the critical data that you would be "pushing" to users.

--
73, Jeff