[pskmail] Re: Did QST run something abt pskmail now ?

  • From: "Per Crusefalk" <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 07:26:41 +0100 (CET)

> Yes.. I believe they did.  I have not seen the article myself, but is also
> described LiveCD and USBlive
> booting of Linux.

Ok, thanks! Too bad I haven't got that 100 Mbps fiber yet then.

> I did get my USBLive key to work via the combo boot method with the
> PSKliveCD starting an older machine.What I do not understand is why I
> cannot get the PSKmail backup and restore scripts to work
> correctly from the PSKlive desktop. My USBLive stick is clearly running
> the system now, but
> settings for PSKmail and FLdigi are not being saved on the stick when I
> shut down.

Those scripts are made to work from a live cd and they are supposed to
save to the root of a removable device. They look for a removable device
to write to and if you run the os from that device then I don't think it
will work. Either of several things can go wrong there and I don't think
it will have write privileges and the devicename could be wrong too.

You can try it by opening up a terminal and run saveit.pl, I cant remember
where I put it now but its probably in the home folder so just entering
"./saveit.pl" should do. That way you should be able to see the errors.

> Now.. I did do something a little different with creating the stick. I
> used MCNLive's Create
> USBLive wizard to create the stick, but modified it by adding your
> ISOLINUX folder to the same
> directory. I noticed other files in the stick including a MCN splash
> screen.  The USBLive
> stick does use the ISOLINUX folder to boot up with your sunset desktop and
> applications.
> I just cannot get the stick to save any settings. I am sorry to keep
> pestering , but
> I need to figure out what is wrong. Do I need to edit the Working Paths
> for the scripts?

Yes, probably. Can you try the procedure above and let me know what errors
you see ?

> PS... I also heard WB5CON today on 10.147 USB on my FlexRadio SDR-1000.
> Conditions were noisy but
> printing was very good.

Great, now I just need to get that new cd out there. There has been a lot
of fixes so I will put a new beta out there today.