[pskmail] Re: Clock setting in pskmail server .0.8.5

  • From: Kent VE4KEH <pb232641@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:50:04 +0000

On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:01:16 -0700 (PDT)
Russell Blair <russell_blair86@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
> AS soon as I start the computer up the clock is dead on, I
> even check the bios clock in the setup it was good. 1- the computer
> was on all night with only UBUNTU 9.04 running no programs, Time was
> still good over night. 2- I check the time setting and it set to time
> off the internet. 3- checked to see if NTP was loaded and it was as
> best as I could tell. 4- with fldigi 3.03 running and pskmail
> server-v.0.8.5, after about 5hr the time starts to get slower and
> slower
<snip>

> Russell  NC5O
> Yesterday is HISTORY. Tomorrow is a MYSTERY. Today is a GIFT! Thats
> why its called the PRESENT!
>

> " IN GOD WE TRUST "
>
> Russell Blair (NC5O)
>   Skype-Russell.Blair
>   Hell Field #300
>   DRCC #55
>   30m Dig-group #693

Hi Russell,

NTPDATE sets the clock only when invoked (in your case, possibly, only at
boot?).

You should run the daemon (NTPD) or run NTPDATE periodically (as a cron job) to
keep the clock accurate.

I believe that there are variations on these commands (the details escape me at
the moment) which also update your real-time clock.
--
Kent VE4KEH