[pskmail] Re: Carrier detection/tx prevention in pskmail/fldigi ?

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:03:17 +0100

tis 2008-11-25 klockan 14:56 +0100 skrev Johan 123:
> Is there any carrier detection in pskmail/fldigi ?.
> When i did try to communicate with a IS0GRB-3 I notice that my set did
> start transmitting during a frame that he received of IS0GRB-3
> I had already a connection with IS0GRB-3 and did try to get a server
> list.
> Data was being received, but not finished yet and already
> pskmail/fldigi did start transmitting.
> My communication with IS0GRB-3 is a bit hard because i do only have a
> QRP station with 1 watt and a suboptimal antenna.
>
> 73 PE1PRX Johan.

Hi Johan,

I'm afraid the answer is both yes and no...
There is no DCD signal from fldigi to pskmail. Pskmail tries to overcome
that by adding a (<US>) character at the start of every frame, when that
is received it knows data is coming.
This means that pskmail only knows about the incoming data after it has
received the first character. So, there is room for a collision.

Regarding ur troubles with IS0GRB my experience is that there may be
some trouble at the start of the QSO and that may rectify itself later.
One good word of advice is to make sure you have the clock on the client
set by ntp or just as accurate as you can. Pskmail will use the time to
help decide who should transmit.