[pskmail] Re: Call for comments on open protocols

  • From: Jeff King <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <k5rud@xxxxxxxx>, 'Rein Couperus' <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Walt DuBose' <dubose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 17:15:08 -0500

Rud:

FEC is best used with interleave, and this functions best against static
crashes and deep fades we all hear on HF, in effect "bending time" (time
diversity)

I've literally had the band totally drop out (briefly) during a MT63 QSO and it
just happily continues printing the text. I've also seen selective fading sweep
right through a MT63 QSO in progress, and again, hardly misses a beat. Actually
a amazing thing to see... a "hole" moves right through the waterfall.

Heavy FEC/interleave is not well suited for "chat modes" however, due to the
time delay.

I think what is going on here is comparing apples and oranges. What is good for
the DX/Ham-CB/Chat types may not be best for those wanting to automatically
move data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT63