[pskmail] Beta test version of java pskmail client, version 0.3

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:50:11 +0100

Here is a new and very much improved version of the java pskmail client!

This client has been tested under linux and windows using java 1.6.
The client is not so limited any more, almost all the functions are
really in there. But, just to keep me and Rein busy for a while longer
there are a few things missing:
* Compressed transfer of email
* reception of AIC Fleet codes (pskmail FEC format)
* File upload

However, all the rest is in there:

APRS functions
        Send APRS Posit
        Send APRS message
        Send APRS email
        Send ping
        Send Link packet to server
        Receive APRS message
        Receive short email on APRS
        Set APRS Icon
        Set Beacon Period (10, 30, 60)
        Set APRS status message
        GPS connection (RS232 and USB)
                Show position, course and speed

Bulletin receive
        Receive weather (or other) bulletins automatically and store them.

ARQ (Connected mode) functions
        Upload of user email settings to a server
        Create new emails and send them
        List, read and delete emails at your regular email account
        List, read and delete emails locally at the server
        List file area on the server
        Download files from the server to the client
        Read files on the client
        Update files on the client (download)

        Get info from the web
            Fetch any web page (text only)
        Fetch information from the web:
        Nearest Tide Reference Harbors (based on GPS position)
                Tidal information for your reference harbor
                List of APRS stations near you
                List of APRS messages to you (from findu.com)
                Get parking sites for RV near you (EU only)
                Get frequency/mode schedule for list of pskmail servers

The archive contains a quick start guide/brief manual describing how to
operate the client.

Download is now at:
http://www.crusefalk.se/jpskmail/jpskmail_0_3.zip

and will be here any second now:
http://hermes.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pskmail/jpskmail_0_3.zip

Installation in windows XP:
* install fldigi 3.10, get it running (http://www.w1hkj.com)
* unzip the pskmail_0_3.zip archive, enter the new directory, double
click the program icon (javapskmail.jar).
* done.

In conclusion I'd like to say thanks to Rein Couperus for the great
cooperation we have had on this. Its been hard work but lots of fun too.
Hope you'll have as fun using it as we had building!

Beta testers are encouraged to report their impressions and suggestions
so that we can continue to improve the client.

73,

Per SM0RWO