[pskmail] Beta test version of java client jpskmail-0.2

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aprpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linuxham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 20:12:03 +0100

Due to great effort by Per, SM0RWO, and PA0R we can now present the first beta
of the new pskmail java client which has been alpha tested
under windows XP as well as under linux. We could not test it on the Mac....
(we don't have one)

This client has limited functionality, but the APRS functions are fully
operational. Connected mode is possible via the arq terminal.

Functions:

 Send APRS Posit
 Send APRS message
 Send APRS email
 Send ping
 Send Link packet to server
 Receive APRS message
 Receive short email on APRS
 Receive weather (or other) bulletins automatically and store them.
 Set APRS Icon
 Set APRS Beacon Period (10, 30, 60 mins)
 Set APRS status message
 GPS connection (RS232 and USB)
 ARQ terminal mode (read email, web site text etc...)

This is a first attempt to make pskmail available for those who do not want to,
or can not use Linux. The plan is to gradually upgrade this client to the same
functionality as the linux client. (pskmail-1.1 for linux). Also for those
who  want to have  easier (no) installation on linux...

The archive contains a quick start guide describing how to operate the client.
The server network in the Americas does not have the same status as in Europe,
where we can reach a server from anywhere, anytime. This is a matter of getting
organized....

We are in need of beta testers to help us decide which services to implement
next....
As stated before, this client has limited functionality, and should be
considered beta.

Download at:
http://hermes.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pskmail/jpskmail_0_2.zip

Installation in windows XP:
* install fldigi 3.10, get it running (http://ww.w1hkj.com)
* unzip the pskmail_0_2.zip archive, enter the new directory, double click the
program icon (javapskmail.jar).
* done.

We have had a lot of fun making this, and we hope some of you will have fun
using it...

(It goes without saying that the code is open source (GPL))