[pskmail] Beacon success rate

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 22:31:57 +0100

Hi all,

I have had my "mobile" setup going with an active beacon on 30 meters
for a few days
(as Rein mentioned, nice to hear it was booming in :-)).
As antenna I have used a 6m fishing rod with only two 4 meter radials
(fed using an MFJ-902
tuner in a plastic box right beneath the antenna). The antenna is really
portable and I aim
to use it during the GlobalSET exercise this weekend. That exercise was
also the reason
for doing this, I wanted to see if 30 meters would be useable during
that test (04-08 UTC).

Power has been 75 watts and I have only used 30 meters this time (I have
had tests on
40 and 80 going before). Mode is of course psk250. The beacon has been
set to 10 minute
intervals and looked like this:
<SOH>00uSM0RWO-9:26 !5900.94N/01756.11E;6m fishing rod ant.3F4C<EOT>

As you know the beacon is of the type "fire and forget" so there can be
collisions, bad snr
and all sorts of problems that reduce the success rate.
Anyway, here is the result with an average success rate per hour:

And, I will clearly have trouble during the first hours of the exercise.
This little experiment did verify the predicted propagation and as
predicted I could only work
IS0GRB during the dark hours. During the day several servers
acknowledged the beacons.

Perhaps this little experiment can give some ideas for other things to
try?