[pskmail] Aw: pskmail 2.x DTN implementation status

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 09:41:27 +0200 (CEST)

Ian,

I have not yet started tackling the DTN project, but it is high on the list...
I am still ironing out small problems on the v2 client. One problem is that we
have to maintain 2 versions, which takes twice the time. Moreover now that
we get more users, we get different requirements :-)

Implementing DTN will require 2 different projects:
1*:  RF source routing between servers/servers, and clients/clients
2*:  Internet routing between servers

The idea is to use internet routing where available, and create a fallback
in case the internet goes away (in emergency situations).

Development capacity is scarce, and we need any help we can get. If you have
ideas for the implementation of 2* you are more than welcome :-)

Rein PA0R

Hi Folks,

Running alpha/beta software doesn't scare me in the slightest, but I was
wondering what the status of DTN (Protocol 1) was in pskmail 2.x

I understand that pskmail 1.x has implemented the part of DTN that
handles sending a message or file in multiple parts (due to loss of
comm channel etc), but does not implement the ability to forward on
to other DTN / pskmail hosts.

I was wondering if with V2, any progress had been made on that. Or
maybe we should just consider letting the O/S (Linux etc) handle
the side of things ?

(While I've not tried - yet, I'm pretty sure I could graft pskmail onto
a Linux DTN back-end to provide routing etc...)

73s

Iain