[pskmail] Re: Aw: any need of servers?

  • From: "Josh Housey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "kg9bo@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:32:20 -0700

Mark,

I will echo Rein's comments about US activity and it is "extremely" minimal.
Recently, a client station N2TIF from Buffalo NY has been using the server on
30m with fairly good success. That actually has been it. I had one attempt from
a "5" on 20m and that has been it. It's been a while since I've seen that much
activity...

One major think I like about PSKMail is the "multitude of modes" that are
available. This makes it flexible for operation based on propagation, station
equipment, etc.  That is my selling point for it and works decently good with
my "mediocre" station setup. I am using a vertical vs horizontal (where I
figure most are using with these bands and on up) and not being very high.. I
welcome the use of modes to still get out...   Also, its  features use on Linux
is another positive point.

I have a Icom IC-7200 (built in sound card) which just works beautifully for
this purpose. It is putting out only 30 watts. The antenna here is a Jetstream
multi-band vertical only at 25ft. I use verticals quite simply because of the
little space available to erect wire antennas. This is a problem with 40, 60,
and 80.

I have actually the ability to use multiple frequencies,  but only operating
two at the present time.

30m is 10.146.500 (+1500 audio frequency) and 20m is 14.109.500 (+1500) or
14.111Mhz (center). It is good to have two to rotate (especially 20m for
contests) and will move it to 17 if required. The radio makes it extremely
ideal to accomplish the task.

There use to be several other servers (Texas, BC Canada, North Carolina)
primarily on 30m but it looks like they all have gone QRT. You might pick up
KB1NCJ in Tampa, FL on 20m. He's the only on there besides me and operation
seems to be "off" and "on".

I look forward to hearing you and that being probably on nights... I should be
easy to catch because server "transmits" a little more frequently (1,2,3,4)
every 10 minutes between 30 and 20m. It also uses "more" sensitive but slower
MFSK/THOR modes. It should probably explain my the EU stations hear me rather
"frequently"... The only reason I do this to "drum" activity because I think
the defaults modes/time aren't enough to attract any PSKMail activity.  I will
easily decrease it when activity starts to increase...

73
Josh, AB9FT