[pskmail] Re: Aw: Re: using java rxtx-2.1.7.jar

  • From: Jan Bruggeman <jan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:12:06 +0200

Rein,

Please ignore previous mail about server string setting for pulseaudio. I've been able to configure thru pavucontroll.

On to the next hurdle.

--
mvg,
Jan Bruggeman

gsm: +32 476 066 826
web: http://www.aubine.be
mail: jan@xxxxxxxxx

On 19-08-14 11:57, Rein Couperus wrote:
Pulse audio has now been the standard on Linux for the last 3 years.
Fldigi will work with portaudio, but it has been the root cause of frequent crashes.
W1HkJ advises to use pulse audio for fldigi wherever possible.
jpskmail-2.0.30 can handle both port audio and pulse audio.
I personally use pulse audio on all my machines. On some machines
I need to keep pavucontrol running in the background when using audio in java.
I normally install pulse audio using synaptic, as I normally run Lubuntu.
But you can also use the .deb installer.
Rein PA0R
Hi Jan , If you wish to run Skype ,..... it is Pulse Audio . To manipulate pulse audio volume level ,install pavucontrol
It is in most repositories .   sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
73   Frank  ,  GM0CSZ / KN6WH
On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Jan Bruggeman <jan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    All,

    This is really bullshit. This has so screwed my setup that I have
    to reinstall the machine completely. Why use pulseaudio if alsa is
    standard amongst audio users on Linux ? Ever heard of jack ?

-- mvg,
    Jan Bruggeman
    Snoekstraat 79
    9000 Gent

    gsm: +32 476 066 826
    web:http://www.aubine.be
    mail:jan@xxxxxxxxx

    On 19-08-14 08:32, Pär Crusefalk wrote:

        Hi Jan,

        I am running pulseaudio on my server. After I switched to it I
        have not had a single fldigi crash.

        73, Per
        sm0rwo

        Jan Bruggeman skrev 2014-08-18 21:56:

            All,

            A never ending story.

            I tried to go back to fldigi 3.21.74 (removed 3.21.83 by
            using make uninstall and installing thru apt-get) but to
            no avail.

            I remarked a slight change in behaviour compared to
            jpskmail 2.0.30 however. When pressing "tune" in fldigi,
            the tranceiver very briefly goes into transmit, but
            inmediately stops. This points to a sound card config
            problem rather than a serial port problem.

            So it seems that this latest fldigi install has corrupted
            my sound card configuration. At fldigi startup, these
            messages look conspicious to me:

            ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:618:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to
            open slave
            ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to
            open slave
            ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
            cards.pcm.rear
            ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
            cards.pcm.center_lfe
            ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
            cards.pcm.side
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Verbinding is
            geweigerd (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Verbinding is
            geweigerd (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Verbinding is
            geweigerd (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Verbinding is
            geweigerd (111)
            ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix
            plugin supports only playback stream
            ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to
            open slave

            Can anyone point me to the correct soundconfig
            (pulseaudio, alsa, or whatever)  for use with fldigi /
            pskmail ?

-- mvg,
            Jan Bruggeman
            Snoekstraat 79
            9000 Gent

            gsm: +32 476 066 826
            web:http://www.aubine.be
            mail:jan@xxxxxxxxx

            On 18-08-14 21:12, Jan Bruggeman wrote:

                All,

                After success with fldigi 3.21.74 and pskmail 1.5.29 I
                decided to drop jpskmail and go for fldigi 3.21.83 and
                pskmail 1.7.0

                installation of pskmail 1.7.0 is straightforward, i've
                just overwritten the 1.5 javapskmail.jar file.

                I dropped fldigi 1.5.29 thru synaptic (apt-get
                frontend), and did a full install from source as
                described in:

https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/Mint_installation

                Everything starts fine, but again no ptt ...

                when pressing the tune button in fldigi, it outputs to
                the console a whole bunch of these lines:
                ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
                ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
                ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

                google is my friend, looking for that line gives me an
                interesting page:

http://tux-is-gaming.blogspot.be/2014/02/fixing-alsa-lib-pcmc7843sndpcmrecover.html

                this is clearly not an fldigi / pskmail problem, but
                rather a sound configuration problem. This has allways
                been a problem under linux, due to too many
                (competing) systems.

                But in the end my ptt does not go thru the sound card,
                it should go thru the usb / serial connection. So, as
                for the problem with jpskmail 2.0.30, I'm still
                suspecting the rxtx serial driver.

                ptt thru the cat interface is not an option as the cat
                interface is used for the antenna tuner
                ptt thru vox is not working either, vox does not work
                in digi mode on an ft817 . I've seen a workaround for
                this, but that involves soldering a resistor on the
                ft817's motherboard ...

                all idea's are welcome.

-- mvg,
                Jan Bruggeman
                Snoekstraat 79
                9000 Gent

                gsm: +32 476 066 826
                web:http://www.aubine.be
                mail:jan@xxxxxxxxx

                On 18-08-14 18:02, Klaus Lohmann wrote:

                    Jan,

                    IMHO you are wasting time.  Version 2.x is a dead
                    end, at least for now. You better concentrate on
                    pskmail 1.7.0 and fldigi 3.21.83 as Rein suggested.

                    I hear SM0RWO-1 and/or OE5RTL, 9A1CRA regularly,
                    but also could activate DL4OAH-1 on 80 or 40 Meter.

                    73, Klaus DL4OAH

                    Am 18.08.2014 17:41, schrieb Jan Bruggeman:

                        All,

                        Further testing:

                        I've installed fldigi 3.21.74 (thru synaptic)
                        and pskmail 1.5.29

                        with fldigi I found out that /dev/ttyUSB0 had
                        only 660 rights (so no r/w rights for others).
                        I've set that to 666 and then no problem to
                        receive AND transmit with fldigi and pskmail
                        1.5.29 ! it's just that I do not hear any
                        server, as usual :-(

                        But !! the 666 rights on /dev/ttyUSB0 did not
                        change a thing in the behaviour of jpskmail
                        2.0 (haven't tried 2.1 yet).
                        Output when starting pskmail 2.0 is still:

                        java -jar javapskmail.jar
                        configuration.xml
                        Stable Library
                        Native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
                        Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
                        WARNING:  RXTX Version mismatch
                            Jar version = RXTX-2.1-7
                            native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
                        port:/dev/ttyUSB0

                        I would suggest to seriously test the usage of
                        this newer rxtx library, and also to re-test
                        the behaviour with different versions of
                        ~/.pskmail/configuration.xml .

-- mvg,
                        Jan Bruggeman
                        Snoekstraat 79
                        9000 Gent

                        gsm: +32 476 066 826
                        web:http://www.aubine.be
                        mail:jan@xxxxxxxxx

                        On 18-08-14 15:57, Jan Bruggeman wrote:

                            All,

                            some more testing:

                            1) I've attached my psk modem to an
                            externally powered usb hub. The modem is
                            showing up as ttyUSB0:
                            Aug 18 15:13:59 aubine kernel: [
                            4343.502851] usb 3-2.4: Product: USB2.0 Hub
                            Aug 18 15:13:59 aubine kernel: [
                            4343.503651] hub 3-2.4:1.0: USB hub found
                            Aug 18 15:13:59 aubine kernel: [
                            4343.503955] hub 3-2.4:1.0: 4 ports detected
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine kernel: [
                            4410.319296] usb 3-2.2: new full-speed USB
                            device number 6 using xhci_hcd
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine kernel: [
                            4410.335866] usb 3-2.2: New USB device
                            found, idVendor=0557, idProduct=2008
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine kernel: [
                            4410.335882] usb 3-2.2: New USB device
                            strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine kernel: [
                            4410.335891] usb 3-2.2: Product:
                            USB-Serial Controller D
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine kernel: [
                            4410.335899] usb 3-2.2: Manufacturer:
                            Prolific Technology Inc.
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine kernel: [
                            4410.337005] pl2303 3-2.2:1.0: pl2303
                            converter detected
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine kernel: [
                            4410.338306] usb 3-2.2: pl2303 converter
                            now attached to ttyUSB0
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine mtp-probe: checking
                            bus 3, device 6:

"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-2/3-2.2"
                            Aug 18 15:15:06 aubine mtp-probe: bus: 3,
                            device: 6 was not an MTP device

                            2) I've downloaded jpskmail again from
                            http://pskmail.org/PSKMaildownloads.html
                            and installed it

                            3) I did not remove my old
                            configuration.xml file in ~/.pskmail, as
                            it was still a 2.0.30 version.

                            when starting pskmail:
                            1) java -jar javapskmail.jar
                            configuration.xml
                            RXTX Warning:  Removing stale lock file.
                            /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0
                            problem opening PTT port
                            aug 18, 2014 3:21:49 PM javapskmail.Rigctl
                            OpenPTTport
                            SEVERE: null
                            gnu.io.PortInUseException: Toegang
                            geweigerd in open
                                at gnu.io.RXTXPort.open(Native Method)
                                at
                            gnu.io.RXTXPort.<init>(RXTXPort.java:84)
                                at
                            javapskmail.Rigctl.OpenPTTport(Rigctl.java:60)
                                at

javapskmail.Main.handleinitialization(Main.java:1712)
                                at javapskmail.Main.main(Main.java:359)

                            jPSKmail ends here...
                            Exception in thread "main"
                            java.lang.NullPointerException
                                at

javapskmail.mainpskmailui.<init>(mainpskmailui.java:189)
                                at javapskmail.Main.main(Main.java:381)

                            and <cntr-C> to get back to console.

                            As this error appeard to be caused by a
                            stale lock file, I removed ttyUSB0 lock file:
                            rm /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0

                            2) and restarted pskmail:
                                same error remained. So I removed
                            ~/.pskmail/configuration.xml file

                            3) and restarted pskmail:
                            output on console:
                            java -jar javapskmail.jar
                            configuration.xml
                            Stable Library
                            Native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
                            Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
                            WARNING:  RXTX Version mismatch
                                Jar version = RXTX-2.1-7
                                native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
                            RXTX Warning:  Removing stale lock file.
                            /var/lock/LCK..ttyUSB0

                                now UI appeared without settings,
                            entered my settings (see screenshot - I'm
                            using hardware PTT !!!)

                            but the tranceiver is still not going into
                            transmit ...

-- mvg,
                            Jan Bruggeman
                            Snoekstraat 79
                            9000 Gent

                            gsm: +32 476 066 826
                            web:http://www.aubine.be
                            mail:jan@xxxxxxxxx

                            On 18-08-14 14:01, Rein Couperus wrote:

                                Jan,
                                just tested 2.0.30 on Lubuntu 14.04
                                (wanted to make sure I am not
                                spreading wrong info :-)
                                Tested 2.0.30 with the K3.
                                * CAT PTT works with /dev/ttyUSB0.
                                woked only with an active USB hub
                                (with power).
                                * Audio works fine, you may have to
                                set the proper channels and levels
                                with pavucontrol
                                * Rig control works fine with CAT and
                                /dev/ttyUSB0
                                see attached pics for the settings....
                                All this with an image freshly
                                downloaded from PSKMaildownloads.html
                                Let me know if you still have
                                problems... BTW, you can also do this
                                with jPSKmail-1.7.0/fldigi,
                                there you have 2 new modes (DominoEx
                                11 and 22). Use fldigi-3.21.83, which
                                does not crash anymore...
                                *Gesendet:* Sonntag, 17. August 2014
                                um 17:58 Uhr
                                *Von:* "Jan Bruggeman" <jan@xxxxxxxxx>
                                <jan@xxxxxxxxx>
                                *An:* pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                *Betreff:* [pskmail] using java
                                rxtx-2.1.7.jar
                                All,

                                The radio is repaired and holliday is
                                over, so I'm back to trying pskmail.

                                My setup:
                                - radio ft 817, so no vox in digi mode.
                                - simple modem from intermar (can't
                                find it on their site anymore)
                                in pskmail ptt is set to hardware ptt
                                using rts pin, ptt port is set to
                                /dev/ttyUSB0.
                                - computer runs linux mint :
                                cat /proc/version:
                                Linux version 3.11.0-12-generic
                                (buildd@allspice) (gcc version 4.8.1
                                (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.8.1-10ubuntu7) )
                                #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013
                                uname -a:
                                Linux aubine 3.11.0-12-generic
                                #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC
                                2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                                java -version:
                                java version "1.7.0_51"
                                OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea
                                2.4.4) (7u51-2.4.4-0ubuntu0.13.10.1)
                                OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build
                                24.45-b08, mixed mode)
                                installled rxtx version:2.2-pre2

                                1) when starting pskmail 2.1 I get:
                                java -jar
                                /home/jan/pskmail21/javapskmail2.jar

                                Stable Library
                                Native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
                                Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
                                WARNING: RXTX Version mismatch
                                Jar version = RXTX-2.1-7
                                native lib Version = RXTX-2.2pre2
                                jPSKmail ends here...
                                Exception in thread "main"
                                java.lang.NullPointerException
                                at

javapskmail.Mainpskmailui.<init>(Mainpskmailui.java:994)
                                at javapskmail.Main.main(Main.java:414)

                                and UI does not show up ...

                                2) when starting pskmail 2.0.30 I get:
                                java -jar