[pskmail] Re: Aw: Re: quick start guide?

  • From: PÃr Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 09:54:51 +0100

I feel I need to defend java somewhat here.
Just as Rein pointed out pskmail would have stayed a happy linux only project using perl and gtk if it wasn't for java. While I don't think that would have been a negative thing at all there was some serious pressure to make it work on window$. Now, java has changed the industry and only yesterday I noticed a certain linux and java based phone OS has a 75% market share:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/idc-android-75-pct-smartphones-3q-17629179#.UJd8SoYpf5E

MS tried their standard embrace-extend-extinguish with java but had to back off and create their own (which is .Net). Both java and .Net use a runtime and c# is almost a complete java clone, have a look here for a comparison:
http://www.harding.edu/fmccown/java_csharp_comparison.html

And, for a developer here we can write once and run everywhere so that really saves developer effort.

But, of course we need to test more and also make the installer perfect and show a splash screen with more info and... What I mean is there is nothing wrong with java, it's just that we need more hands involved in the development and testing.

73 de Per, sm0rwo

Rein Couperus skrev 2012-11-03 17:59:
@IAn, 'Why people still persist with Windows is beyond me'.
Unfortunately we had to use java to enable people to use window$.

@Drew, windows wants to use javaw.exe...

See

    FAQ Windows7 pretends it cannot find javaw.exe

<http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/FAQ+Windows7+pretends+it+cannot+find+javaw.exe>

Rein PA0R

Why people persist with java is beyond me :-(

Try an older version of the client that uses fldigi. After much mucking
around, I have found a combination that works for me.

Ian

--
Mobile: +46703784299