[pskmail] Re: Aw: Re: Re: Re: 2.0.24 under Windows

  • From: Demetre SV1UY <demetre.sv1uy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:39:01 +0200

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Larry Levesque <ka1vgm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Too bad it's a fact of life though.
>
> Windows does Suck!
>
> I make my living from that fact. I am in IT / Desktop Support.
>
> Linux just works - Windows just sucks - really bad.
>
> Larry Levesque
> KA1VGM
> Cheshire County EC
> NHARES

It depends,

If you are talking about VISTA and older WINDOWS O/Ses then you are
100% correct, although if everybody wants to play administrator and
hit OK at every message box they see without reading what  the message
box is saying, then you are 100% right.

But Windows 7 is really good, probably similar to LINUX. I'm in IT
support too and I support both Linux and Windoze since 1990 when we
had Slackware LINUX version 0.92 with 25 floppy disks! hi hi hi!! Also
at home I have 2 desktops and use them both everyday. One is a PC with
8GB RAM running UBUNTU 12.10 and the other is a  PC with 4GB running
Windoze 7. Both systems ask for my attention whenever I want to
install something and I am happy with both. I have being doing this
for ages now with various LINUX and Windows versions and I tell you
that LINUX is not the Holy Grail of all O/Ses.

I agree with Ian Wade G3NRW. You don't call stupid (well, you probably
should not imply it) anyone using Windows. People get upset.

LINUX was the best O/S but not the Holy Grail any more! At least not
since Windoze 7 appeared. Most LINUX distros are bloatware as well
today, wherus Windows 7 has improved.

I still run a small box with Slackware 14 in an Atom MBO (no X-WIndoze
in it, only text mode) for my AMPRnet GATEWAY and APRS IGATE here in
Athens. LINUX is extremely efficient for SERVERS but for Workstations
I think that Windows 7 is the best. Even though LINUX have a name for
indefinite uptime, you still have to reboot them, not all that often
but you still need to reboot them.

Why do you think professionals in big businesses do exactly that?

I must tell you again that I agree with what Ian G3NRW said.

--
73 de SV1UY
Demetre Ch. Valaris