[pskmail] Re: Aw: Re: Re: A crazy/stupid idea

  • From: "remi.chateauneu@xxxxxxxxx" <remi.chateauneu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 12:36:03 +0100

Great, never noticed that. Does it work with fldigi as a server ? is there a TCP/IP stack in pskmail ? (There might be something I did not understand... )

Le 06.10.2012 10:06, Rein Couperus a écrit :
Remi,

you can run a telnet session on HF with any pskmail client.
Just choose any pskmail server you can reach and start the telnet
session with Ctrl-T.
See the screenshot...

Rein PA0R

Funny, I was thinking about a similar idea ut for a very different
purpose. My goal was to run very slow Telnet sessions on any
HF-protocol, like these VT terminals we had in the 80s.

The implementation would have been to use any fldigi modem by wrapping
them in a Hayes-compatible serial port, so that any modem could be used,
with any software plugged on a tty modem.

One of the difficulties would indeed have been to devise a simple
protocol to send/receive non-alphanum characters such as '@', '<SOH>'
etc... with Morse or Baudot, so that even PPP could run on this serial
port. A simplistic solution would be to use strings such as " at ", and
if these strings appear in the text to transmit, just escape them. This
is an ultra-classical solution.

Another problem is to implement a simple protocol for error detection,
such as asking for the retransmission strings, or maybe substrings only.
For my personal need, it does not have to be fast (75 bauds or 50 bauds
are perfect) so retransmitting is OK.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Being a 'CW only' operator, this idea has been one of my pet
    projects for some
    years... I am thinking about a 'simplified' way to handle this, not
    a full ARQ
    protocol. I must admit that it is not highest on the todo list, but
    I might come up
    with some useable code next winter season...

    Some ideas which are on my 'would be nice' list:
    * Use a Coherent CW modem for a super sensitive link mode on a
    frequency
    in the CW portion of the band, running slow but full ARQ pskmail...
    Using multiple CW characters to form the complete ASCII 7 set...

    * Theoretically you could now already send short emails without ARQ
    connect
    using the unconnected APRS email service in pskmail... just switch
    fldigi to
    receive CW... (only trouble are the '@', '<SOH>' and '<EOT>'
    characters...).

    * A separate version of PSKmail called 'CWmail' could use 90% of the
    pskmail
    system infrastructure with a specialized protocol, and run in the CW
    band.

    *ARQ by ear... using your keyer to ask for a repeat...

    ... Meanwhile you can of course use Andpskmail without a laptop
    using your
    android phone... makes your backpack a lot lighter in weight :-)

    One other idea I have to make the transceiver smaller and lighter is
    to use a straight FSK mode on an Xtal controlled transmitter...

    I will take a few extra beers tonite, and do some more thinking :-)

    To realize all these goodies we will need some coding help (Perl for
    the server),
    as the pskmail project is not finished yet...

    I love the idea to get portable operators connected!

    vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM

    -------
    Sent from my Mobile, please excuse typos.
    Phone: 314 884 8697