[pskmail] Aw: Re: Re: A crazy/stupid idea

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 16:09:36 +0200 (CEST)

Do you have a writeup of that old protocol somewhere to trigger my mind
while having the beer?

Rein

Hi,

I have also played with this idea in the past. I actually went back to my old books for 500 Hz cw and talked to old operators at the closed stockholm radio station to refresh my memory of how we sent and received QTC. What I did there was to write down the old "protocol" for transfering and error checking a QTC using cw only. We also looked at extensions for email, as the old stuff lacks that.
The procedure is not like a standard ham QSO as its intended for message transfer and not the standard "Solid cpy dr om, ur rst 599 ufb tnx fer qso...". The good thing is that the old protocol is excellent for message transfer, should be fine as is and old ship operators would feel right at home :).

73 de Per, sm0rwo

Rein Couperus skrev 2012-10-05 15:53:
Being a 'CW only' operator, this idea has been one of my pet projects for some
years... I am thinking about a 'simplified' way to handle this, not a full ARQ
protocol. I must admit that it is not highest on the todo list, but I might come up
with some useable code next winter season...

Some ideas which are on my 'would be nice' list:
* Use a Coherent CW modem for a super sensitive link mode on a frequency
in the CW portion of the band, running slow but full ARQ pskmail...
Using multiple CW characters to form the complete ASCII 7 set...

* Theoretically you could now already send short emails without ARQ connect
using the unconnected APRS email service in pskmail... just switch fldigi to
receive CW... (only trouble are the '@', '<SOH>' and '<EOT>' characters...).

* A separate version of PSKmail called 'CWmail' could use 90% of the pskmail
system infrastructure with a specialized protocol, and run in the CW band.

*ARQ by ear... using your keyer to ask for a repeat...

... Meanwhile you can of course use Andpskmail without a laptop using your
android phone... makes your backpack a lot lighter in weight :-)

One other idea I have to make the transceiver smaller and lighter is
to use a straight FSK mode on an Xtal controlled transmitter...

I will take a few extra beers tonite, and do some more thinking :-)

To realize all these goodies we will need some coding help (Perl for the server),
as the pskmail project is not finished yet...

I love the idea to get portable operators connected!

vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM

-------
Sent from my Mobile, please excuse typos.
Phone: 314 884 8697

--
Mobile: +46703784299