[pskmail] Re: Aw: Re: A crazy/stupid idea

  • From: Remi Chateauneu <remi.chateauneu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 15:37:07 +0100

Funny, I was thinking about a similar idea ut for a very different purpose.
My goal was to run very slow Telnet sessions on any HF-protocol, like these
VT terminals we had in the 80s.

The implementation would have been to use any fldigi modem by wrapping them
in a Hayes-compatible serial port, so that any modem could be used, with
any software plugged on a tty modem.

One of the difficulties would indeed have been to devise a simple protocol
to send/receive non-alphanum characters such as '@', '<SOH>' etc...  with
Morse or Baudot, so that even PPP could run on this serial port. A
simplistic solution would be to use strings such as " at ", and if these
strings appear in the text to transmit, just escape them. This is an
ultra-classical solution.

Another problem is to implement a simple protocol for error detection, such
as asking for the retransmission strings, or maybe substrings only. For my
personal need, it does not have to be fast (75 bauds or 50 bauds are
perfect) so retransmitting is OK.