[pskmail] Aw: Re: A crazy/stupid idea

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 15:53:49 +0200 (CEST)

Being a 'CW only' operator, this idea has been one of my pet projects for some
years... I am thinking about a 'simplified' way to handle this, not a full ARQ
protocol. I must admit that it is not highest on the todo list, but I might come up
with some useable code next winter season...

Some ideas which are on my 'would be nice' list:
* Use a Coherent CW modem for a super sensitive link mode on a frequency
in the CW portion of the band, running slow but full ARQ pskmail...
Using multiple CW characters to form the complete ASCII 7 set...

* Theoretically you could now already send short emails without ARQ connect
using the unconnected APRS email service in pskmail... just switch fldigi to
receive CW... (only trouble are the '@', '<SOH>' and '<EOT>' characters...).

* A separate version of PSKmail called 'CWmail' could use 90% of the pskmail
system infrastructure with a specialized protocol, and run in the CW band.

*ARQ by ear... using your keyer to ask for a repeat...

... Meanwhile you can of course use Andpskmail without a laptop using your
android phone... makes your backpack a lot lighter in weight :-)

One other idea I have to make the transceiver smaller and lighter is
to use a straight FSK mode on an Xtal controlled transmitter...

I will take a few extra beers tonite, and do some more thinking :-)

To realize all these goodies we will need some coding help (Perl for the server),
as the pskmail project is not finished yet...

I love the idea to get portable operators connected!

vy 73 de Marcus KD0JKM

-------
Sent from my Mobile, please excuse typos.
Phone: 314 884 8697