[pskmail] Aw: Problems with jPSKMail V2 client

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:25:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ian, tnx for the test.

1.: The V2.0.9 version of jpskmail is still in beta, and this is the first test report...
2.: The V2 modem is pre-alpha... I am doing the V2 modem because many server ops
complain about fldigi stability. Both are test versions to help me find the bugs...

The stable versions are jPSKmail-1.5.5 and fldigi, jpskmail-1.5.7 is in beta waiting for test reports.

Goal for the V2 development is to replace fldigi as a modem, as many users
find it too difficult to get it going. My main project at the moment is to get
the V2 versions to work. This means testing 8 hours a day, and in my setup they
work.  Which does not mean they will work in all setups yet.

Having said this, here are some hints and answers:

1.: Try the simple solutions first. These are:
-   Try stable configurations first, i.e. jpskmail-1.5.5 + fldigi
-   That will enable you to see if the audio works.
-   Start by using the rigexpert first for audio only. In my setup the rigexpert USB port freezes the PC.
    (noticed that this afternoon...)
2.: PSKmail supports VOX. If that works on the ICOM 706 it is the easiest way.
3.: The second solution is PTT via hamlib. When you use fldigi and jpskmail-1.5.5 you
can configure that in fldigi.
4a.: The third solution is to use hardware PTT and rig control via fldigi.
That can also be configured in fldigi.
4b.: I have used soft PTT via USB on the K3 with jPSKmail-2.0.9. It defaults to /dev/ttyUSB1 because /ttyUSB0 is the gps.
4c.: I have not tested the RTS/DTR hardware PTT yet.
5.: Mail/APRS is the default mode in pskmail, which lets you use 99% of the functions.
Mail/scanning supports autoconnect on a scanning server, Monitor lets you monitor
a channel. As Mail/APRS is default, its status will not be stored.
6.: The hamlib list of rigs can be viewed by entering 'rigctl -l' in a terminal. for the ICOM 706:
309 Icom            IC-706                  0.5     Untested
310 Icom            IC-706MkII              0.5     Untested
311 Icom            IC-706MkIIG             0.5.1   Stable
7.: You can switch off the DCD busy lock by going to Preferences->Edit->Configuration,
and setting DCD to 0.
8.: I am glad I only have to work on 4 programs, and I want to get
rid of some of them so I can spend my time more efficiently. Too many balls in the air.
At the moment it looks like I have to do all the testing myself, and as that is
90% of the work it could take some time to get everything fixed.

Back to work...

Evening all,
I stopped using pskmail many years ago when development stopped on the
perl version in favour of the java version. I could never get the thing
to run without errors.
A number of years have passed and I'm going on another big trip, so
with a new laptop (new for me anyway!!) and advice that the "new" java
version being more reliable, I thought I'd give it another shot.
My setup consists of the following:
- Toshiba Satellite A2000 laptop with 160G HD and 2G RAM.
- Xubuntu 11.10, xfce version 4.8 with a 3.0.0.17-generic kernel
- Java version 1.6.0_23
- jPSKmail version 2.0.9
- Rigexpert Tiny PC-to-radio interface
- ICOM IC-706MkIIG transceiver.
The first thing I should mention is that my Rigexpert has been used
successfully with fldigi for some years now using /dev/ttyUSB0 as the
rig control and /dev/ttyUSB1 as the PTT. In fact it was the same
Rigexpert and ICOM transceiver that successfully ran the original perl
version during our trip across the Simpson Desert in 2009.
Anyway, the first thing I noticed when starting jpskmail is the
"Disconnect" button label is incorrectly spelt. Minor I know, but it
still needs to be fixed.
When the program starts, the "mode" defaults to "Mail/APRS"; regardless
of what mode I was in when I saved preferences OR exited the program. Is
there a way I can have the program start in a mode other than Mail/APRS??
When I goto edit the preferences, I have no end of trouble on the "Rig"
tab. I can't see the entire entry for some of the selections in the Rig
Model drop down. It doesn't appear large enough to accommodate all of
the characters.
On my display, I see 310 - IC-706MkII and 311 - IC-706MkII. One of them
is obviously for the "G" model but which one??
I'm not sure why the number is there; it doesn't add value for the
user. If this must be present, can all entries be listed in the manual
please??
When I select the "port" drop down, I select /dev/ttyUSB0 as this is
what RigExpert uses for rig control.
When I select the PTT port drop down, I select /dev/ttyUSB1 and click
OK. This arrangement didn't work so I rechecked the settings. If I go
back to edit configuration, the rig port has changed to /dev/ttyUSB1.
Why does it do this??
No amount of editing and saving would keep my rig control port on
/dev/ttyUSB0; it kept going back to /dev/ttyUSB1 and permanently keying
up my radio!!!
Having failed dismally with v2, I tried jpskmail version 1.5.7 with
FLDigi version 3.21.41.
That didn't work either however I didn't have the manual with me out in
the bush, so was flying blind a bit. After reading the manual when I got
home (specifically the bit about configuring FLDigi), I need to try this
combination again before I post those results.
One of the big issues I had was jpskmail not wanting to transmit. I got
the "connecting....." message at the bottom of the screen, but it would
only transmit occassionally.
When reading the manual, I found reference to pskmail not transmitting
if squelch was open or the S/N ratio was too low.
A message in the status saying "Can't transmit because squelch is
active" or "Can't transmit because S/N ratio is too low" would have gone
a long way to alleviating a lot of frustration and point me in the right
direction as to what was going on.
You can never have too much information, especially when fault finding,
but I agree you don't need it all the time. Maybe a debug option maybe
in order??
Assistance appreciated.

Ian
VK1IAN