[pskmail] Aw: PSKMail Server & IC-7200

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:26:12 +0200 (CEST)

Josh,

There is one thing which comes to my mind immediately...
The PSKmail server uses hamlib to control the frequency and the PTT of the rig.
I expect problems when you use RIGCAT.
Attached is the pic of the parameters I use on the PI4TUE server.
I use VOX instead of PTT, that works very well.

The lockups you see are most probably caused by RF on the USB connection.
On PI4TUE I have used ferrites to kill the RF on the cable, additional to
effictive grounding of the rig.

We have strong indications that  lockups are NOT caused by the server software.
The operating system does also not play any roll, lockups happen on any...
The fldigi problem is caused by the error handling of the ARQ interface in
fldigi. When RF causes errors on the USB connection, the error is not
handled properly in fldigi, and the ARQ routine is halted.

I have meanwhile written a small scipt which will restart fldigi after 5 minutes
when the ARQ interface dies. It is being tested on PI4TUE now, and it will be published
soon...

But the best cure is to make sure the USB connection does not produce errors...

All,

Name here is Josh, (AB9FT) from Sheboygan, Wisconsin (50mi N of Milwaukee along Lake Michigan)

30m conditions haven't been the best here past few days, if that is why some have not heard the server here. Trying out KAM+ on 30 (test propagation) and actually hearing very little as well. More one way with "packet" TX/RX then with PSKMail I have very regular copy of KB2PNM on 30m... Anyway, I have been having a problem with the server here with my IC-7200. It is a random problem that has no specific time but seems to eventually happen.. It can be either in the ID (where I have noticed it happens more often) but simply when its done transmitting, it gets "jammed" and continues to transmit until I turn the radio off. When that happens, fldigi apparently hangs and have to "kill" it. I am wondering if my problem is related to anyway to SA6BQZ's problem.... On some cases, it loses communication with the radio with a message about (Radio IO failed....). I should mention that I have it set up that it uses RigCAT with the IC-7200.xml that keys up the radio and has that special  "command (can't remember, its not NO500....)" to ensure the 7200 can key up with PSKMail Server

I have tried to troubleshoot as much as I can and getting nowhere with it. Started with different USB cables... Tried different linux distros (Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Slackware, Fedora, Mint, Debian) and different software combinations (newer/older versions) and get the same thing... Also, it happens whether I use frequency/scanning.. Pretty sure, its nothing I have set up for files, but send them if that will help. Beginning to wonder if its the computer, but that would be strange....

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to mention.

Thanks.

73
Josh, AB9FT