[pskmail] Re: Aw: No more client stomping!

  • From: Ian Bennett <ibennett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 19:04:53 +1000

Could you change the "Cannot find any mail" message to reflect what the server is really trying to say?? I think the old "please update your record" was more intuitive and would be more meaningful when fault finding.

Ian
VK1IAN

On 10/05/12 00:05, Rein Couperus wrote:

To do the ultimate test of the śorry, wrong password' problem,
I have just tested the following:
* Using pskmail_server-1.6.5 on PI4TUE (the same as on the download page).
* Using jpskmail-2.0.11 on the desktop (no flidig)

1.: Set my call to PA0R-3 in Pref->user data->Callsign
2: Made sure there is a password in Pref->User data->Session password
3.: Connected to PI4TUE
4.: Menu->Link->Update server (or ctrl-U)
5.: Disconnected.

Here is the screen dump:
======================================
PI4TUE 1.6.5-13:54:43-IM321>
Cannot find any mail

Auth ok...
iving record
Updated database for PA0R-3

=>>1129,af0c134ad1cc918e8e4601bf26136f80ad0e57
Session password changed!
Your mail: 19217

1 How-To Geek Supercharge Ubuntus Unity Dash with Lenses & Scopes: 5
Lens 26543
2 Greg Mossop [pskmail] Re: Server stability test 4663
3 Glenn Roeser Roeser [p
=======================================

This is for a first-time entry.
If you already have a (false) record, do a Link->Reset mail record'
before the
server update. The server first deletes the record, and then accepts a
new one.
As soon as the Úpdated database for' is received, the client sends
the new session password cookie, which is then also confirmed by the server.

Sorry, I cannot make it any easier... no sysop intervention is
reequired, it is all done
from the client.

Rein PA0R

Hello all,

The new 1.6.5 (noted Rein has now bumped the archive version for dummies
like me who got confused) server code seems to fix the server talking
over the client. I just experienced a number of pleasant connects, send
mail and disconnect sequences. It's a beautiful thing to behold when it
works like it does now. Thanks for the new server Rein.

Now, for the "sorry, wrong password" problem, and other notes.

1. I remember the server used to ask you to "pls update database" if it
didn't know who you were. Now it just says "cannot find any mail". Now,
I'm not sure if this is just a language thing, but this does not seem
like an error of any kind. It's telling me (English as my first, and
unfortunately only, language) that I have no email. My intuition is to
just stop here as I don't have any email to read.

2. I need to hit the "update server" button twice for it to get all
packets sent. You're probably thinking that I didn't wait long enough,
but I swear that when I hit the button once, the client sends data 1,2,3
and only when I hit it a second time will it send data 4,5,6. The
client/server do the normal two-and-fro keep-alive if I don't hit it a
second time.

3. Sometimes the "update database" button won't work at all. I can press
it to my hearts' content after a connect and it just won't send the data
- the client won't even try. It's like the button is ignored.

4. After a database update, the client never displays a "database
updated" in the terminal window - even though the server log shows it
happened.

5. I know how to get yourself stuck in the "sorry, wrong password"
tangle every time. First, connect and do an update database. Do not do a
:SETPASSWORD. The entry in the rflink_users.db file will have NONE for
the session/aprs password. Now disconnect, and reconnect. Doing a
:SETPASSWORD will never be allowed. You MUST do your initial update
database, and :SETPASSWORD during the first connected session or you're
screwed for good on that server. Yep, even if you go and delete the
session password in the client. You will never be able to use that
server unless the sysop intervenes.

6. I'm seeing problems in 1.5.8 client not displaying mail in the
headers list, etc. I wonder if that's just my JVM or some such
(jre1.6.0_20)?

I know I've made some bold claims above - I'd really like to be proven
wrong on all of them!

Steve.