[pskmail] Re: Aw: (Long) Report of "extensive" use of PSKmail while crossing the Pacific Ocean

  • From: Josh Housey <kg9bo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

I was running 17m for sometime before, but if there is interest, I might
consider moving it (Was running 18.111 but 18.106 could work too).  Right now,
still "experimenting" with other modes for propagation to see if any "short"
skip stations copy me with this antenna along with the extremely open VHF/UHF
conditions here in WI (Lake Michigan) during past few days... Right now, not
looking good for "packet" (extremely sporadic/week copy of "anything") but PSK
might have a chance for this. However, there is nothing  to experiment with...
I am thinking antenna might have low radiation pattern favoring "DX"...

 I might have mentioned it before but the antenna I am using here is a
Jetstream JTV680 vertical over here roughly 25ft high... The antenna has low
SWR and fully efficient on 17m and even for 30m. I think 12 works the same. Why
these bands? With my antenna, 20m doesn't work that way. SWRs are low (without
tuner) but somehow efficiency in transmissions are not there. 40m is about the
same but SWRs are higher. 80m will not work well. Coax? (this antenna works
beautifully when portable)... Not too crazy about 20m because of getting
clobbered by other signals. I agree with Rein's point about choice of 30m.
However, "propagation" for 30m still mystifies me (why I am experimenting with
it). I can say the same thing about 17m as well along with the fact of not
hearing anything on PSKMail.  If a "quiet" frequency is reached, 20m PSKMail
could work even better  and I could add it here. Still might consider trying
14.111 if it promotes more PSKMail activity
 overall....

73
Josh, AB9FT