[pskmail] Re: Aw: Disaster response/ Alternate frequencies?

  • From: Hans Freitag <zem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 16:57:56 +0200

Hi Sam,

Am 2014-08-05 14:39, schrieb sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

I understand now that your current implementation is hard coded for
ham frequencies. I also didn't realise that hams were forbidden to use
 446. Does that also apply to CB 26.9650 – 27.40507?

In general you are only allowed to use licensed Radios, with PMR and CB the radio has a licence, in Amateur Radio the operator has one. 26.9-27.5 is not assigned to ham radio services, so we all have to use the license that comes with the CB radio.

You are also not allowed to use encryption on Ham Radio. A hamradio transmission
must be able to be fully interpreted by anyone.

Would it be legal
 to use PSKmail protocols on 26.9650 – 27.40507 frequencies in Europe?

There are some people who are using APRS with CB Radios, but you have to
look at your countrys laws. PSK31 is a modulation, it is usually produced by setting your Radio to SSB mode, and then sending a NF PSK31 via Soundcard.

You may Ask in some CB Radio board if some sort of PSK modulation is not
forbidden with CB Radios.

Would CB use require forking the PSKmail code by non-hams? At present
the Serval design is for it to be usable with those without radio
licences which is why I'm pushing at this possibility, even though I
realise the range will be significantly shorter than if using HF.

My Experience is, that all my friends that are actually interested in
Radio Applications and Digital Modes are Ham Radio Operators.
We have a Licence training in our Hackingspace in Vienna once a Year.

The Main Problem is to find enough people in reach of your Radio or Wlan
that are interested in your work and want to spend time.

Additionally it also seems that where PSK/ Ham users were interested
in Serval, and physically available in disaster situations they/you
could provide useful backhaul on HF out to the public internet if
Serval was integrated into your work/code as you have suggested.

I am working on a similar System right now, which is called QTC-Net,
that is especially designed for Ham Radio use. http://www.qtc-net.org/
That is also the reason why I am on this list. ;-)

I think it may be possible to use a Rhizome journal to transmit
QTC-Net Messages between two pools, I avoided to set one standard
here, to be more flexible on the Integration level. Unfortunately
I can only write a Maximum of about 100 lines a day. :)

Yes the 'wormhole' was how I was imagining it. Not sure if this
'diagram' will work. But might help

You may measure the Bandwith that is used by those Serval Text messages,
if it is more than 250 Baud/s you cant use that link as backbone.

I am facing this bandwidth problem with my QTC Net Development
right now. Signatures, for example, are eating up _half_ of the available bandwidth. I have to reduce everything starting with the message, I am even thinking if it would't be better to use less accurate hashsums and smaller RSA Keys in combination with a bitlevel text compression to reduce the Size
more.

The consequence is that I can use a low bandwith HF connection only for
selected data that is needed really by the remote node. I expect that a
full syncronisation must be done over some sort of high speed Backbone.

Is there any possibility for running the server code on an Android
device? Or does it need a lot of processing power?

Android devices usually have enough processing power, your main Problem will
be that there is no FLdigi on android.

So far, many regards from vienna...

73 de OE1SRC

     Hans
--
This final error message indicates a successful installation of a
UNIX GIS cluster node.