[pskmail] Re: Aw: Disaster response/ Alternate frequencies?

  • From: sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 13:39:00 +0100

Hi Rein

Thanks for your reply.

First thing, PSKmail has been developed for hams, using ham frequencies,

This means e.g. we can not use PMR, as the regulations forbid the use of
the PMR frequencies for hams,

I understand now that your current implementation is hard coded for ham frequencies. I also didn't realise that hams were forbidden to use 446. Does that also apply to CB 26.9650 – 27.40507? Would it be legal to use PSKmail protocols on 26.9650 – 27.40507 frequencies in Europe?

Would CB use require forking the PSKmail code by non-hams? At present the Serval design is for it to be usable with those without radio licences which is why I'm pushing at this possibility, even though I realise the range will be significantly shorter than if using HF.

Additionally it also seems that where PSK/ Ham users were interested in Serval, and physically available in disaster situations they/you could provide useful backhaul on HF out to the public internet if Serval was integrated into your work/code as you have suggested.

Second, PSKmail is a point-to-point system, not a mesh. Document transport
is done in connected mode,
so a client and server block a frequency for the duration of a session.
When the client can not reach
the destination server it can use a store-and-forward system with
intermediate servers.
To this end, PSKmail includes a Delay Tolerant Networking protocol (see
wikipedia).

OK I have a better (though I'm sure imperfect!) understanding of how it works now. I always understood it was point to point, but the server/client relationship makes more sense now. Thanks.

I can see the use of PSKmail as a wormhole connecting several mesh networks
over large distances,
using store-and-forward and DTN techniques. One possibility would be to
include a serval mesh
node in the pskmail servers/clients.

Yes the 'wormhole' was how I was imagining it. Not sure if this 'diagram' will work. But might help

[Android Device 1/ Serval] <--2.4 Mesh--> [Android Device 2/ Serval] <--2.4 Mesh--> [Android Device 3/ Serval]
       ^

      2.4 Mesh

[Android device 4/ Serval + PSK ] Connected to [External radio 1]
                                                  ^

                                            HF? CB?-'wormhole'
                                                  ^

[Android device 5/ Serval + PSK + PSK server] Connected to [External radio 2]

       ^

[Android Device 6/ Serval] <--2.4 Mesh--> [Android Device 7/ Serval] <--2.4 Mesh--> [Android Device 8/ Serval]

Not sure if that makes things any clearer or not!

Is there any possibility for running the server code on an Android device? Or does it need a lot of processing power?

Thanks for your interest..

Sam

Serval is a disaster recovery communications system;

Serval Mesh is an Android app that provides highly secure mesh
networking, voice calls, text messaging and file sharing between
mobile phones using Wi-Fi, without the need for a SIM or any other
infrastructure like mobile cell towers, Wi-Fi hotspots or Internet
access. Hi All

First post here. On a personal not I'm a sailor so I really like the
work you are doing. Long range email is further incentive to get
around to doing a Ham licence..

I'm emailing you today beacause i'm interested in the Serval Project.
(I'm not an official representative of the project, just an interested
third party)

Serval is a disaster recovery communications system;

Serval Mesh is an Android app that provides highly secure mesh
networking, voice calls, text messaging and file sharing between
mobile phones using Wi-Fi, without the need for a SIM or any other
infrastructure like mobile cell towers, Wi-Fi hotspots or Internet
access. http://www.servalproject.org/

However the range of Wifi is quite limiting, so the project is
interested in developing 'range extenders' using other frequencies in
the Radio spectrum.

The 'mesh extender' could provide the infrastructure to connect meshes
over longer distance.
http://developer.servalproject.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=content:meshextender:main_page#high-level_design

Now I realise your project uses HF frequencies which are only
available to licensed radio hams. But I was interested to see that you
seem to have ported FLDigi to Android..

It seems that your two projects may be somewhat complimentary. I'm
thinking if we could hook up an Android device to a licence free
radio, install Serval & AndPsk and get them talking togther, then the
Rhizome store & forward messages from Serval could be via AndPSK over
radio to another identical device, which then pushes the messages from
AndPSK into Serval, and back into the Serval Mesh network.

I realise that CB/ PMR446 will only get a signal a few miles, but that
would be a significant improvement over the hundreds of meters you get
with Wifi. Also i'm thinking text messages only here.

Specifically what I was pondering is how complex it would be to;

* Use PSKmail on an alternative licence free spectrum such as PMR446
or the CB frequencies that now allow packet? (EG. does the current
design require a ham callsign? Or could I just hook it up to a CB as
is?)

* Build a bridge between AndPSK and Serval so the apps talk to each
other and exchange messages

I realise this is somewhat vague and I don't really have a clear idea
of exactly how PSK works yet. I thought id just thow out this email in
the hope someone will say; yes it also looks to me these projects can
compliment each other, or equally; no that won't work because of X.
Forget it.

Thanks

Sam