[pskmail] Re: Antennas

  • From: Rick W <mrfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:11:21 -0500

Good questions Mike,

The 30 meter band is not available for NVIS in most areas, so it is working with longer haul, lower angle propagation. The physical length of a dipole (or inverted vee) is around 45 - 46 feet so is much easier to work with than the lower frequencies. And a full size vertical is only about half that, so is very easy to install.

I use a ground mounted Butternut HF-9V vertical with just over 30 radials for most bands above 80 meters. Verticals can work well as an omnidirectional antenna for multiple bands, however they can not be used as well for NVIS operation.

Daytime coverage on 30 meters is typically farther than 40 meters. My station in SW Wisconsin can often connect with WB5CON in northern Mississippi (~ 1000 miles). Thirty meters can shut down at night during low sun spots, but if it stays open, can go very long and probably would not be as useful for that kind of distance.

A practical network of stations, where you can connect with high reliability, must have multiple bands of operation and could even have VHF coverage.

73,

Rick, KV9U

Decossas, Michael wrote:
All,
Mike, here in New Orleans, just a question for everyone on the group. Is there a preferred antenna type? Vertical, horizontal, VEE etc. On the testing server I have set up, I am running a 30M inverted "VEE" style wire antenna at about 30'. For 30M, what is everyone else using? What kind of "coverage" are you getting and who, if anyone has decent propagation after about 9:00pm... Just some questions. I am almost done testing the server side, e-mail is flowing in and out, now to just get the web monitoring part going.... Thanks, Mike-KB5OZE