[pskmail] Antenna hazards in Australia (off topic!)

  • From: Steve <stevez@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:23:34 +1100

Hello all,

I've been trying very hard to maintain a PSKMail server on 30M here in Australia. Mostly this has worked out well for me. I've got a nice back yard to erect antennae, and very accommodating neighbours. One thing that all Australians can't avoid however, is our wildlife. Australia is the land of the parrot. One of our most famous species is the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. They're big, noisy and intelligent. They live longer than most humans too.

The ones in my area love my PSKMail antenna. They've bent it a couple of times now. Finally my wife caught them in the act (see picture below). She (and my kids) were in fits of laughter when this picture was captured. I think those animals knew what they were doing!

I've re-enforced then antenna. This won't stop them though - I'm sure they enjoy the challenge!

If anyone has trouble hearing VK2ZSZ in the future, you can be sure that these buggers have visited once again ;-)

Picture:- http://users.tpg.com.au/stevez/Cockys.jpg

Steve (VK2ZSZ)