[pskmail] Announcement -- TS-590S TechNote: SSB Audio Handling v1.0

  • From: Ian Wade G3NRW <g3nrw-radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:53:09 +0100

TS-590S TechNote: SSB Audio Handling v1.0
=================================

I have posted a new TS-590S TechNote on the TS-590S Resources Page.

The aims of the TechNote are:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-- To summarize the many features built into the TS-590S for handling SSB audio.

-- To dispel some of the myths and misunderstandings arising from Kenwood's inappropriate use of the word "DATA" in its documentation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emphasis is on the *functionality* of the TS-590S, describing what the radio does, rather than how to operate it. For the most part, this document is not a HOWTO (although it does include step-by-step instructions for setting up TX and RX audio equalizer profiles using the ARCP-590 control program).

The TechNote also includes detailed information on how TX keying works, insofar as how it determines which audio input the radio uses when transmitting.

The document is a long one: 28 pages. Please take the time to read it thoroughly. It should present a consistent picture of how this wonderful radio works, and will hopefully clear up some of the misconceptions that have appeared on the reflectors from time to time.

I must acknowledge the people who reviewed early drafts of the document: Steve London (N2IC), Frank Riley (KK0K), Don Snodgrass (KG9OM), Rob Stampfli (KD8WK), Joe Subich (W4TV) and Jose Maria Trueba (EA2JX). Their contributions helped me turn the very rough first draft into something much more readable. Many thanks gentlemen!

To download the TechNote, go to the TS-590S Resources Page:

  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm

Scroll down to the "TECHNOTES" section, then click on the link:

"TS-590S TechNote: SSB Audio Handling".

As usual, if you find any errors in the document, or anything that isn't clear, please get back to me.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW