[pskmail] Android Pskmail - progressing well

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Daniel LENGRONNE <vk2fww@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:32:51 +1000

Gentlemen,

I have to say that I am pretty happy with the progress on the Android
version. And this not thanks to my programming skills but the fact that I
have re-used about 70-80% of the code of jPskmail. Thank you Rein and Per.

It is fundamentally working now, with all the targeted functions in place
and all the downloads tested and working as required (email headers, emails
in compressed and uncompressed formats, files, web pages). Failed
(interrupted) downloads can be resumed (depending on the option selected)
and complete nicely. The files are stored on the SD card in the device in a
"pskmail" directory.

I haven't tested the sending of data to the server but there should be no
reason for it not to work, minor bugs apart.

I have attached some screen captures from my HTC Desire. The user interface
is still a bit rough. For example to move from screen to screen it requires
a press on the menu button then a selection of the desired screen. In the
future it will have gestures recognition like a "sling" where wiping the
screen in a horizontal direction will change screen, similar to what is done
to flip through pictures.

I have coded the version's 1.40 of the server with dynamic tables. Since
there is no RSID I can only use one mode at a time but it does work nicely.

So if all goes well, we should have an alpha version for testing in a week.

Current version committed to Per's SVN server.

Have a nice weekend,

73s, John