[pskmail] Android Pskmail: performance differences between Android versions 2.1 and 2.2

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 17:38:23 +1100

For information.

I have upgraded my HTC Desire from Android 2.1 to 2.2 (stock telco ROMs in
both cases).

The version 2.2 has the advantage of a JIT compiler that optimises the code
before running it.

The difference has been amazing: as a reference, the THOR22 modem would
consume about 75 to 80% of the CPU under version 2.1 and that load went
down to 25% under version 2.2.

Quite an amazing performance improvement.

AndPskmail in general:

Currently working on controlling Bluetooth via the program to make life
easier when using a Bluetooth interface. Need to implement the sent items
display and finish the manual for the first Beta version.

Awaiting delivery a small Bluetooth headset (the one that clips to the ear)
for hacking into an audio interface for FT857/897 or FT817 using the
tranceiver's VOX capability (digital vox for 857/897 and MIC VOX for
FT-817).

73,

John