[pskmail] Amateur radio for northwest passage voyage

  • From: Gavin Rogers <kc9kvq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:14:28 +0100

Hi there,

I have been last-minute added to the crew to sail the Northeast passage
starting this weekend. I am getting a local antennae pro to install a
vertical dipole on the main mast, and I'm buying a good used IC706. I have a
good quality laptop running linux, and I hope to (in addition to normal HAM
operations and contacts throughout the voyage) send/receive APRS, minimal
email, and ice charts/weather reports vial PSKmail.

I am hoping to connect to OH9KKH, but I think that as we continue eastward
we might not have any PSKmail connection until we can source VE7SUN in
British Columbia (my home). Any comments on this? No doubt we will be able
to luck out with other PSK contacts, as well as SSB throughout the voyage.
Can anyone comment on this? Are there any other stations in Asia coming
online in the next month or two?

I am all ears as we are still getting ready to throw in the antennae and the
IC706. I want to do an excellent job with this, I want to have great
contacts throughout the voyage, as well as prove the ability of PSKmail. I
am sick and tired of the WL2K garbage we've been putting up with in Canada
for the past 10 years (not the least of which is horrid linux support). I am
glad to have access to all the work that has been put into PSKmail.

Also, what is the yacht tracker on pskmail.eu? How hard is it to sign up for
that? I think it would be good for our families to track online, in addition
to our onboard SPOTII device.

Please, give me any advice, I'm open to trying anything at this point.

Sincerely,

KC9KVQ
Gavin Rogers