[pskmail] Re: AW: Aw: pskmail newcomer

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 09:28:20 +0200

Lothar,

development is focused on the java client with fldigi at the moment.
Reason for this is that there is a lot of development in fldigi regarding
new modes, and we want to be able to use them.

In the beginning (say 10 years ago...) the client and server were in one perl
program. We started the java effort because perl was not running well on
windows,
and nobody used linux. This also enabled the use of the client on android
phones.

What I would like to see is to return to the beginning, and program a
client in perl with WxWindows for perl. That would make development a lot
easier.
I would look at doing the DSP stuff (modems) in perl as well, but that is
a major effort. Maybe by putting the C++ modems into a perl shell.

Also we could think about dropping the window$ support, as both client and
server can be run from a USB stick running puppy linux.

I see that also as an ideal way to start using pskmail, use the puppy linux
image available on the pskmail download site...

I will be in orbit for the next 2 weeks, you can see me at the ham radio
exhibition in Friedrichshafen... try the RRDXA booth...

73,

Rein PA0R/M

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:56:13 +0100
Lothar <cumulant35@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Rein,
first thank you for the detailed answer, I think it's worth a try with
pskmail.
There a several clients at the pskmail.org download website, what version
could you recommend, are the Alpha/Beta versions javapskmail-2.1.0-j.jar,
which have an included modem,usable or should I go the pskmail client +
fldigi way ?
Why is the pskmail server written in Perl and the client in java,
would it not be easier, for maitenance reasons, to use java or perl
exclusively ?
Is it possible to connect another pskmail client from a pskmail client or is
only client server allowed ? I thougt about a situation where a server is not
accessible from a client only another client. The other client does perhaps
have a connection to a server and could route the message,email to it.

Lothar

p.s.:
You wrote the development is mostly done by one person, if it helps I could
assist in programing issues, at least as it concerns Perl . Java is not one
of my strenghts I use it rarely in daily work. Most things are quickly solved
and run faster with a matching Perl/Python script. I found a todo list at
the website, unfortunately a link to the old wiki, is there a actual list
somewhere? It could also be helpful to have a kind of software repository
like "git".

Betreff: [pskmail] Aw: pskmail newcomer
An: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Datum: Freitag, 12. Juni, 2015 10:47 Uhr

Hi
Lothar,

there is still a lot of activity in the group,
see

There is still a lot of
active development going on behind the scenes,
especially

in the area of tuning
the protocol... The modes used by pskmail all use

varicode, which makes
timing adventurous at least.... That is the main focus
of

the development at the
moment. Bug fixes are depending on bug reports from
users.

There is also a lot of
activity on the raspberry pi / bananapi front, which
makes

running a server 24/24
possible with only 5W for the computer.

We are thinking about
discontinuing support for window$ (TM), as there are
enough

possibilities for
window$ users to run some form of Linux. Like virtual
box,

puppy-linux-on-a-usb-stick,
the combination of a raspi modem with vnc and a

windows/android/mac
laptop, or even an android tablet running a vnc
client.

PSskmail runs on an
android phone as well.

There are ideas for a
Perl client with integrated modems, doing away with java and
fldigi.

Unfortunately
development is mostly done by1 person who is handicapped
with only

1 head and 10
thumbs...

The wiki at
wikispaces.org had to be discontinued because they wanted
money for it.

And as you probably
guessed, pskmail is an open source non-profit effort,

which costs the main
developer some 400 Euros/year to run the pskmail.org
server...

Fortunately the wiki
activities were picked up by some enthousiastic group
members,

and now live on
wikidot.com. Maintenance of the wiki costs time, and depends
on

volunteers.

The pskmail facebook
group is very much alive also. It allows very fast

communication between
users.

73, and happy
pkmailing...

Hi,

I'm
new to this mailing list an interested in pskmail.

used WINLINK for a while but now I'm looking for an
alternative.

The
first question I have about it is, is there still activity
in the pskmail group.

The
pskmail.org website has many death links and seems not to be
updated for a long time.

What
is the develpoment status of pskmail server, client, are
there plans for the future ?

Is
it known how many oms use pskmail currently ?

73

Lothar

--
Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>