[pskmail] Re: ARRL to offer $10,00 prize for HF modem

  • From: "karel Fassotte" <karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:12:57 -0500

Well I understand your point Rein, I agree, allthough I dont go as far
and that fast as you do.
As for now we have a system FTP like running with the RFSM2400 software.
The software is made realy nicely. It is stable, under wine and under XP.
If there would be something like it in the open source I would go for
it imediately.
The problem with the open source is that it is abandoned by the
software guys, also the amateurs. Nowadays all is oriented ath the
easy available, windows. Nearly nobody is interested in open source
writing and implementations. Its a pitty, but because of this real
world situation we walk on both the open source and closed source like
windows, allthough I hate to be dependent on the big brother, Bill
Gates. I would abandon imediately windows if there would be an
alternative for all applications we need. Even worse. Overhere in the
third world all is Windows, bought or robbed. No discussing is raised,
never. No people realy working on alternatives. Imagen the third world
that could take advantage of open source is completly drowend by
windows.
The Q15X25 which is also a good candidate, is abandoned in open
source, nobody putting any interest in it. The people that made the
software dont even take the time to write and inform you. I am glad
Rein and others that this PSK forum exists, were we can exchange
experience an help each other to get things going.
One element of critic points out my brother Steef concerning the
PSKmail. He says it should be written from the scatch to be an
embedded system, that may use small motherboards, without any
harddisk, start from a stick, or memory. Communicate to the outside
world using the ehternet or wireless.
This would make it a powerefull wireless router. Right now it is
oriented to the amateurs, with a screen interface. Maybe I am not an
expert enough to give opinions that easy.
greetings
Karel
HC1AKP
PE2KFA

2007/1/24, Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I think we should stop talking to people who are not prepared to put their
software into the public domain.
Put a lot of TIME in? (...)

Let them go somewhere else (M$?) to sell it to the highest bidder...
These people have different  goals, they have to earn money (nothing wrong with
wanting to get rich, but let's not waste OUR precious time on it).

NOBODY is going to get rich selling software to hams. It is a WASTE OF TIME.

73,

Rein EA/PA0R/P

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com