[pskmail] Re: ARRL to offer $10,00 prize for HF modem

  • From: "Chris Danis" <cgd3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:48:36 -0500

On 1/24/07, karel Fassotte <karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
My brother Steef is not very fond on binaries. He says the could
should be free and open to develope and adapt to the wishes. I think
Dmitry has a point, because he did a lot of work and does not want
somebody to commercialize the software.

There are a number of open-source licenses that would allow the code
to be released, and would allow others to modify and further develop
the code, but that would not allow a commercial product to be built
with the codebase (without, say, that product itself being
open-source).  The best-known example of such a license is the GNU
GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

There are also a wide variety of open-source licenses available,
designed for all sorts of different scenarios and intentions of
developers:
http://opensource.org/licenses/

Although I understand and appreciate that not all want to write
open-source software, I don't consider fear of commercialization to be
a very valid excuse :)

best,
-chris