[pskmail] Re: APRS Position Problem

  • From: Ian Wade G3NRW <g3nrw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:02:40 +0100

From: ve7cus@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010   Time: 16:24:56

I was using compressed posits but I would never see the icon appear at
my location so I guessed
 something did not like it so I changed back to uncompressed and
everything was fine. Today, I decided
 to investigate and found when I used compressed jpskmail changed my
longitude to east from west. What did I do wrong?

Darrel

Darrel

You may find my programs MICENC and APRSDEC useful, at:

http://www.tapr.org/~g3nrw/

They let you create and decode compressed posit strings. In fact, APRSDEC will decode all known types [1] of APRS string. I found it invaluable when writing the APRS specification, in checking out the APRS messages that actually appear on-air.

If you create an input file containing your compressed location, APRSDEC will give you the equivalent uncompressed position. You can then compare that against what jpskmail is telling you.

[1] All types known in 2000, when I originally wrote the program. As far as I know, it should still be valid. However, if anyone discovers any current APRS message types that do not decode properly, please let me know.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW