[pskmail] Re: APRS Icons and server igating

  • From: Klaus Lohmann <dl4oah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 09:46:44 +0100

Darren,
handling of several settings in 2.028 is not very reliable. But 2.1.0 is in the pipeline. It will still take some time, as a lot of testing is still required and dokumentation must also be prepared.

DL4OAH-8 is often on a dummy load during my testing of the client. I will think about a different setup for tests.

Regards
Klaus, DL4OAH

Am 31.01.2013 23:09, schrieb Darren Long:
Hi,

I've a few more observations, all regarding 2.0.28.

I've noticed that the icon shown for G0HWW-5 is the "/,y" icon - the yellow house with a VHF beam, rather than the "/,-" icon, the green house with the HF beam, as depicted in jPSKmail's icon selection dialog and shown in the beacon settings. This is consistent with what is sent by the jPSKmail client. At first I thought it might be to do with the compressed encoding, but when uncompressed it is the same.

I've still not yet managed to get any APRS messages for G0HWW-5 gated to HF from any server that I've linked to. Admittedly my HF station is challenged in the power and antenna domains, but I do wonder if some issue may be preventing the intended effect. I have rarely had the opportunity to establish a good link with a PSKmail server that I'm able to access the logs of, so I can't tell what is going on. DL4OAH's web server seems to under maintenance at the moment, and his -8 server is my best target it seems. I don't get to hit SM0RWO often, and OE5RTL is also a good bet. Actually, while I'm on the subject of servers, is DA5UWG operational on 80m, as I've never heard anything but then my 80m antenna is even more miserable than my current efforts for 30m, so that could be why.

I'm keeping notes on servers that I've "paired" with, and nodes that I've hit/heard here:
http://www.g0hww.net/2013/01/pskmail-with-kx3.html

I've also been wondering about the inability of aprs.fi to display the directly received stations of both the PSKmail servers and clients that are gating to APRS-IS. For example, today G0HWW-5 received and injected into the APRS-IS a beacon from OE5RTL, as shown in jPSKmail like so:

16:03 - OE5RTL>PSKAPR,TCPIP*:!4826.75NP01432.25E&

and on aprs.fi like so:

2013-01-31 11:03:33 UTC: *OE5RTL <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=OE5RTL>*>PSKAPR,TCPIP*,qAS,G0HWW-5 <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=G0HWW-5>:!4826.75NP01432.25E&

G0HWW-5 doesn't get "credited" for gating this traffic in terms of aprs.fi listing OE5RTL as a station heard directly. It would be useful if we could figure out why this is. My satgate, running aprx, when receiving directly from my D72 shows this on aprs.fi:

2013-01-31 20:11:38 UTC: *G0HWW-3 <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=G0HWW-3>*>URQTR5,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,G0HWW-4 <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=G0HWW-4>:'vGDl <0x1c>[/>=

I note that there is no "TCPIP*" shown in the path. Could this be the reason? The existence of the TCPIP* in the path appears to me to indicate that G0HWW-5 heard OE5RTL via TCPIP and not direct, although I may be mistaken.

I had been off work recently, allowing for much daytime testing. Now I'm back at work, so I won't be as active. That's probably a good thing, as I may have been a bit liberal with my server access attempts, but it needs testing, right ;)

Cheers & 73

Darren, G0HWW