[pskmail] Re: A tiny progress report regarding gps

  • From: "Chris Danis" <cgd3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:40:29 -0500

On 2/10/07, Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Per,

I think what we need is something we can poll from pskmail, so we can get the
position when we want.
One way to do that is to fork a new process which does exactly what you did,
and put the result in a file which we can read any time from any of the other
preocesses...

Per, Rein,

Have you considered gpsd?
http://gpsd.berlios.de/
gpsd will handle all the low-level details of communicating with the
GPS and parsing NMEA sentences.  You can then use Net::GPSD (in CPAN)
to communicate with gpsd and pull current position, time, etc, all
with only a few lines of code.  Just a suggestion.

best,
-chris N2YYZ