[pskmail] Re: A tiny progress report regarding gps

  • From: "David Vrona" <dave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:08:13 -0500

Guys,

I can tell you that Winlink maintains a database of their users and they
create the map from their database.

Do you want to see something really cool?  Go to www.shiptrak.org and enter
K9VZ for the callsign.  Certainly a nice benefit of maintaining a database
of connects.

Also click on the ? to learn about shiptrak.

I think Google Maps is certainly the way to go and yes, we should have our
own map.  But, collaboration with Winlink, Shiptrak, Yotreps, etc. may yield
some good things as well.

Dave
n9qnz

On 2/11/07, Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Dave and all,

I looked at that page and it inspired me to start hacking google maps.
The API is well documented and its easy to create a customized map that
can show position reports. Here is a quick 5 minute hack example:
http://www.crusefalk.se/pskmailers.htm

The positions I display on that map are just random and only there to
show how easy it is to put them on the map. Now I just need a source for
the data.

So, a question for Rein: any ideas about how to query findu for pskmail
stations ? Or, I could query pskmail.org for connected servers and then
display the live pskmail servers on a page like this.Any ideas on how to
get that info ?

We could of course ask winlink to put our positions on their map but
would it not be better to have a page of our own ?

73 de Per, sm0rwo

--
Pär Crusefalk
Turnévägen 5