[pskmail] A tiny progress report regarding gps

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:16:36 +0100

Hi all,

The neighbours looked funny at me today as I chased up and down the
street with a laptop in one hand and a gps in the other. GPS coverage
indoors is non existant, no coverage even if I stick the gps out the
window, so here I was running in a T-shirt with the temperature outside
being -14C (7F).

Anyway, I have had requests for a gps interface to pskmail. Some sailing
friends will go on a longer sailing trip and wanted a "long range AIS"
or something equivalent. The meaning is, naturally, that a gps should
supply pskmail with updated positions so that the aprs pos beacons show
the real position at all times. I looked at that and its really too easy
to interface a gps using perl.

I plugged my old Garmin emap in my laptop and set it to output nmea
data. I then executed the following and ran up and down the street:

#!/usr/bin/perl
    use GPS::NMEA;

    my $gps = GPS::NMEA->new(Port => '/dev/ttyS0',
                             Baud => 4800);
    while(1) {
        my($ns,$lat,$ew,$lon) = $gps->get_position;
        print "($ns,$lat,$ew,$lon)\n";
    }

And here is the output:

[per@newdelly source]$ ./gpsnmea.pl
(N,59.135215,E,18.097861)
(N,59.135206,E,18.097844)
(N,59.135195,E,18.097824)
(N,59.135184,E,18.097818)
(N,59.135172,E,18.097829)
(N,59.135165,E,18.097849)
(N,59.135159,E,18.097865)
(N,59.135150,E,18.097882)
(N,59.135143,E,18.097896)
(N,59.135143,E,18.097895)
(N,59.135147,E,18.097877)
(N,59.135154,E,18.097858)
(N,59.135162,E,18.097836)
(N,59.135173,E,18.097815)
(N,59.135186,E,18.097809)
(N,59.135200,E,18.097822)
(N,59.135210,E,18.097841)
(N,59.135223,E,18.097862)
(N,59.135233,E,18.097882)

Its updated abt once per second.

So, this seems to work. NMEA is a standard as well so the gps make
shouldn't make any difference (or ?). I can include something like this
in the client, will just have to look at that new options dialogue.