[pskmail] 300 Baud Rate in the USA

  • From: Bernard Dekok <kc9sgv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:49:58 -0600

Ok,
So I read up a bit on this here in the PSKMail archives.
300 Baud max on the HF bands in the USA.

So what is the PSKMail baud rate at 500 HZ ?
Why is PSK500 not allowed in the USA, when Winmor can use the 500 HZ mode *
unattended* ?
Winmor clients can indeed use the 1600 HZ mode if the station is *attended*.
Some USA Winmor servers (RMS's), even run at 1600 HZ, in "attended" mode.

What is interesting is that the Winmor baud rate is only 93 baud on 1600 HZ.
See here and download "*Winmor Rate*":
http://www.winlink.org/WINMOR

Could we run a PSKMail PSK500 server in "attended" mode in the USA ?
How about "unattended", but under control operator/sysop control via remote
ops (say by VHF or Iphone/Echolink) from the lawnmower in the yard while
indeed mowing the lawn ?

We need more and faster PSKMail servers in the USA.

Bernie,
KC9SGV
Chicago.