[prssr-devel-ml] Re: updating channels

  • From: David Andrs <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:45:59 +0100

On 11/10/05, Hal Rottenberg <halr9000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Comments on updating...
>
> - Hitting Ok shouldn't kill an update, it should continue in the bg,
> perhaps with a throbber on the menubsr

I'll see what I can do with it. Looks as a good idea for me.

> - Updating a channel with images is taking a LONG time.  It took
> several minutes for Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/rss.xml) to
> finish.  I don't recall it taking so long before. Net speed isn't the
> issue, this is 11Mbps wifi to 7Mbps cablemodem.

Yes. In the previous version, the download of images and caching
online content was multi-threaded and therefore quite fast, but it
caused corruptions of SD-card. I was not able to do it MT without
SD-card corruption (probably some problems in MT implemetation of
windows mobile OS, maybe SD-card driver problems).
The single-threaded version works for me reliable, but it is slow. I
use WinInet API and that's probably the problem. Advantage of WinInet
is that it's part of OS and therefore pRSSr is so small. For future
versions, I will have to replace WinInet with my own implementation -
it is missing some features I will need in the future.

> - When I hit Ok by accident, I expected to see a partial list of items
> that been downloaded, but instead there were none.  I know the items
> were there somewhere  because a subsequent refresh did not start all
> over.

I want to do that but i do not have time to implement it, thanks for reminding.

> thx
>
> --
> Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
> im:hal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx