[prssr-devel-ml] pRSSreader 1.4.0.4

  • From: David Andrs <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:46:58 -0700

Hi!

The new version is out for testing. Go to
http://pda.jasnapaka.com/prssr/beta/. It is mainly bug fixing release,
anyway there are some new things (see below).

- ADD: using libsgml for parsing html.

Great library that simplified the code a lot (library itself has only
18KB - binary)

- ADD: feed auto-discovery
   Go to Site manager, Add feed, type web page URL. If the page offers
RSS (in <meta> tag), it is discovered and added. You do not need to
remember URLs :) If there are more feed offered, you will see a dialog,
where you can choose which feeds to add. For now, only UTF8 encoded
pages are displayed ok (iso-8859-1 is a subset of utf-8, so all english
pages should work ok). The other encodings are in progress.

   I would appreciate testing of this feature. I tried some of my feeds
and they worked, but I'm not able to test every feed in the Internet :-)

-FIX: non full screen dialog did keep their position when user
(de)activated SIP

-FIX: improved view switching:
  - the keyboard focus was not set
  - feed was not loaded if switched from summary view to feed view by
toolbar button

-FIX: Date was not set, if the feed was added and did not specified date.

-FIX: progress bar texts (probably final)

-FIX: update on cradling did not work.

Because the new library (libsgml) was added, some older features need to
be tested. What pRSSreader should do:
- it should be able to cache enclosures
- it should be able to cache images in feed items, images in HTML are
not yet supported.
- you should be able to see cached images :)
- you should be able to open/view enclosures
- you should be able to open cached web content. prssr is doing a little
bit of html code optimization. No CSS applied, java script filtered out.
You should see empty frames where images are supposed to be. Your PDA
should not bother you with connection to internet if you are offline. If
you have problems, report here which page, etc.

Simply everything that worked in 1.4.0.3 should work in 1.4.0.4. If not,
let me know. If you encounter some improvements, it is intentional :)

Enjoy!