[prssr-devel-ml] one longstanding problem I have with pRSSreader

  • From: "Hal Rottenberg" <halr9000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:05:21 -0400

When my unit runs out of memory, which is often, WM closes pRSSr.
When this happens, I have to restart my session.  I have to wait for
the xml to load, I have to find where I left off reading, I may have
to toggle view unread because the article I was reading was flagged as
read.  A big pain.

I just saw this article from a WM developer on MSDN:

In it he explains why WM doesn't have a close button.  It's a very
good read for any of you.  The quote that caught my eye and reminded
me why I had not used pRSSr in a while was this:

"We made our shell watch how much memory was being used and close apps
when more was needed.  We made many of our apps remember their state
when they were closed so that they could reload it again when they
were opened (so users couldn't really tell that they had ever been
shut down)."

That's when I realized that this is what pRSSr does not do very well.
David, have you ever noticed this?  Ever thought about ways to improve
it?  Maybe having a persistent session file that is read upon program
start.  The file would have to be saved periodically, and when the OS
tells pRSSr to close (because it's low on memory).

Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)