[prssr-devel-ml] latest pRSSReader + usage notes

  • From: "j. schultz" <casemon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:07:42 +0200

David, thanks for the great program. I've tried nearly all of the other RSS programs for CE and your's is the best by far!

: Couple of usage notes, as a heavy user

- OPML Import; I have OPML export plug-in for firefox and use the same live bookmarks for RSS on my device. However, when I import it into pRSSReader, it changes the order of the items (putting directories at the top). This is undesirable, as I like to have a flow to my news reading (serious to lite). Using the latest version, moving directories Up / Down does not work. Example heirarchies:

OPML list (i opened it and verified the order is correct)
- SiteA
- SiteB
- SiteC
- SiteD
- Dir1
ÂÂÂ - Site1.A
ÂÂÂ - Site1.B
- Dir2
ÂÂÂ - Site2.A
ÂÂÂ - Site2.B

pRSSReader version of the same list after import
- Dir1
ÂÂÂ - Site1.A
ÂÂÂ - Site1.B
- Dir2
ÂÂÂ - Site2.A
ÂÂÂ - Site2.B

- SiteA
- SiteB
- SiteC
- SiteD

With Up / Down, I can move for example, SiteA to appear after SiteB but I cannot move SiteA to appear before Dir2. Same with Site2.A, cannot move it out of it's nested level, only within it.

- Using Sort By Date; Really handy feature, I feel I am much more efficient with it. The only thing is, I typically use the pad to read RSS news. I'll open an item near the top of the "new" part of the item list, will view it for +2 seconds (automatically marks as "read") and then press OK to return to the list to review which item I want to open next. Except, now the focus of the list is at the bottom with the "read" item. I have to either press UP until I reach the top or I'm forced to touch.

If there is a way to, after closing a "read" item, return to the list but with the focus on the "next unread" item, it would save me a lot of unnecessary repetitive behavior (multiply the above scenario by >50) and would make pRSSReader that much better.

- Items from deleted host appear in Today screen;
I'm not sure why this happens, but I had a site in Site Manager and had received items for it. A few days later, I decided I didn't want items from this site on my device, so I removed it from Site Manager. However, items still appear on the Today Screen (set to show briefs +cycle). I cleared the Cache and even checked the Cache folder for an HTML file corresponding to the deleted site, but did not find anything. As of this writing, they still appear on Today Screen (but do not appear in Site Manager). Strange eh?

- Redirection Without Location Header error; not sure if this is a new thing to the site I use or to the latest pRSSReader (notice the error about the same time), but I can no longer get items from a particular site because of this error. Site used to work on pRSSReader and still works fine on Firefox.

Those are just the few notes I have. Not at all complaining, as it really is a great program. Just want to send my usage notes as a heavy user to help. I will donate what I can as soon as I find my moneybookers password!

Thanks again for this great program. Keep up the good work, I know many people who appreciate it.

regards,

joe
-- pRSSreader development mailing list prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.freelists.org/archives/prssr-devel-ml