[prssr-devel-ml] UserAgent and UA Profile necessary for o2 WAP Flatrate support

  • From: Sebastian Mauer <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:35:14 +0100

Hello there,

first let me thank you for your very great program. It's a great idea to have all my favourite newsfeeds on my mobile, however I'm currently not really able to
use it like I want. Everything runs fine if I'm connected to the cradle or a wireless lan but If i try to refresh my feed cache while connected by GPRS it seems
that pRSSReader 1.2.1 Beta can not pass the o2 Proxy which is necesseray for Flatrate Access.

I've searched a little bit and found out that o2 only allows a few UserAgents (like the one of PIE) to pass their Proxy (this is to prevent Users from tunneling their Notebooks trough the WAP2.0 Flat).
Additionally every HTTP-REQUEST must include a UA-profile (which can be bogus, as the proxy doesn't check the data).

It would be very great for a lot of German Users if there was an option in pRSSReader that allows the user to change the UserAgent or the whole HTTP-Header sent.

If you need someone to test it: i'm your man.
Additionally I would be glad if I could participate by transalting the next version to German.

Sincerely,

Sebastian Mauer aka
Maui