[prssr-devel-ml] Re: Some display/typo issue

  • From: "David Andrs" <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:29:44 +0100

I have done a little research in this problem:
- the Actu-environnement states that the encoding is iso-8859-1.
- the badly displayed character had code 0x9C, which is a control code
in iso-8859-1.
- but I have found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1, that it
is very common that text encoded in cp1252 is labeled as iso-8859-1
and many applications interpret iso-8859-1 as cp1252. Awful!
- have checked the 0x9C char in cp1252 and it is oe ligature ->
Actu-environnement decalres bad code page.

Probably the same problem of mixing iso-8859-1 with cp1252 in other feeds.

And what to do with it? I can interpret iso-8859-1 as cp1252 - this
should not be a big problem. But I do not like it. The error is
definitely on actu-environnement's side. You can send them message,
that they use bad code page and should change it from iso-8859-1 to
windows-1252. If you succeed, then the world will be a better place to
live :)