[prssr-devel-ml] Re: No "error checking" when downloading enclosures

  • From: "David Andrs" <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:20:40 -0700

On 2/13/07, Scott Bueffel <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David,  when I download enclosures (this has nothing to do with my
> previous email), if something interrupts the download, pRSS doesn't
> finish the download later.  But it considers the download to be
> complete, as evidenced by the enclosure icon on the item title.  I have
> to delete the enclosure manually (via pRSS or Explorer) and tell pRSS to
> download it again.  Can you add some kind of check, based on file size
> perhaps, to have pRSS ensure that it has downloaded the complete
> enclosure and, if not, either resume it or just download the whole thing
> again?  If you have any questions about this that I haven't made clear,
> please let me know.  Thanks.
I noticed this recently when I was on very unstable connection.

There is a problem with the file size check. According to the
specification, feeds should report the file size, but quess what. Yes,
there are feeds that does not follow the specification, thus the check
might be hard. The resume option might be hard, becuase not all of the
web server supports it. Definitely, I put the resume on my TODO list,
it is not good to download the whole thing if you are for example on
GPRS.

Anyway, pRSSreader should report uncomplete downloads of enclosures,
so this is probably a bug. Thanks for letting me know.